What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Book of Revelation

• Thread starter JMurphy97
  • Start date
I want to read this but I don't know what the right one is. Does anyone know anything about it?

.. There's only one dude... It's the last book in the bible.

Revelation is about the end times, the times we are now in. I would suggest getting the New King James Version or the Analytical Literal Translation to read it. These two versions are some of the very few that are based on the Byzantine manuscripts. I would not read a version based on the Alexandrian manuscripts. One of the Alexandrian manuscripts was discovered ''discarded" in a Vatican trash can with several different scribal glosses throughout.
Check out any books by Dean Burgon on manuscripts. The Byzantine manuscripts have "blood" on them as faithful protestant men like William Tyndale and John Rogers burned at the stake at the hands of Catholic Persecutors for producing bibles in English for everyone to read. Sadly to say most modern versions are based on Alexandrian Egypt manuscripts and do not have the Godly testimony of faithful men and "blood' but do contain many variants from the received text which are needless.

Read both.

I say you should read either New American Standard, or King James bibles to read the this book.

BUT don't take every thing literally if you need help try and found out what Simple words that take on many meanings are in Hebrew. I know theirs a verse that talks about A virgin, and they got that confused with an unmarried girl.

Funny you guys mention the Book of Revelation... I was planning on reading it last Spring, but never got around to do it.

I took a Religious Studies class for my GE requirements, and my professor made the book seem really interesting. We didn't go into much detail, though. As a result of the class, I acquired the King James version of the bible and the English Standard Version. Maybe I'll read it once winter break starts.

I was told that it is very symbolic and metaphorical and sometimes very difficult to understand, is this true?

I was told that everything that happened in real life with the hurricane and all that other is in the book and that the end is coming soon.

Yes it is all VERY symbolical and even biblical scholars get headaches over it, usually the smartest struggle with it, and even then its almost impossible to understand allot of the stuff it has.

Alot of it doesnt make sence, but it might in the future... 20,30,60 years who knows?

The end is coming soon. All the other times the world was supposed to end were just practice runs. Like fire drills. We'll be ready this time.

The end will come when no one expects it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The end will come when no one expects it.

Then good thing at every occasion at least one person freaks out and expects the world to end.  
wink.gif.gif

Remember the guy that locked himself in his basement and sewed his eyelids shut right before the 2000 new year?

Anyways, revelation is the best one.  Very entertaining/interesting.  For the record, I don't believe in the existance of magical beings. (not meant to be an offensive statement.)

its kind off offensive when you put "magical beings" If you put higher beings it would make since that you were trying not to be offensive.

Jesus is magic so he's a magical being

I thought you said bean. Seriously I think i'm getting dyslexia. I've already got Sexlexia... i'm messed up with these lexias.

There have always been crappy weather conditions and earthquakes guys.. it goes in cycles. Relax.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Nov. 23 2006,10:27)]Jesus is magic so he's a magical being
So is David Copperfield...

My point exactly
smile.gif

I like Davin Blane or Chris Angel better, though
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]its kind off offensive when you put "magical beings" If you put higher beings it would make since that you were trying not to be offensive.
Select definitions from Dictionary.com:

mag-i-cal [maj-i-kuhl] –adjective
1. produced by or as if by magic: The change in the appearance of the room was magical.  
2. mysteriously enchanting: a magical night.  
3. of or pertaining to magic.  

mag-ic [maj-ik] –noun
2. the art of producing a desired effect or result through the use of incantation or various other techniques that presumably assure human control of supernatural agencies or the forces of nature. Compare contagious magic, imitative magic, sympathetic magic.  

Almost every religion requires that either the followers or some higher entity perform acts or miracles that transcend natural explanations.  So JRFxtreme was being concise in his choice of words.  He specifically stated he was not trying to be insulting and I think communicating as clearly as possible without editorializing is, indeed, the best way to do that.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I was told that everything that happened in real life with the hurricane and all that other is in the book and that the end is coming soon.
Like JRFxtreme, I do not wish to be insulting to anyone, but I also do not wish to see unnecessary fear instilled in someone.  Please keep in mind JMurphy97 that this is part of a religion, of which there are many in the world.  Most religions are mutually exclusive; they cannot all be true.  If you are truly concerned I would like to suggest that you do research into other religious predictions of the end of the world, and at the same time look for scientific evidence that will confirm or refute these claims.  If you have specific questions or concerns, or need reference materials to start with, I'm available via PM.

If you are interested in reading this to learn about other cultures, or because you find these beliefs fascinating, I can certainly understand that.  I would recommend Norse mythology as well; that's always been a favorite of mine.  I have also found Wicca a very interesting system of belief.

Good luck!
smile.gif

My view of the Book of Revelation is that it is a prophecy. A prophecy that has yet to be fulfilled. I tend to agree that people sometimes get too caught up in the details and figuring out when, where, and how of the book. Like any prophecy, there is a message behind it. A warning and a way out. That message is that the final judgment is coming, and all will face the judgment of God. The kingdom of Satan will end, and the Kingdom of God will prevail. You have two choices. Either take heed the warning, realize your sins, and seek the only one who can offer you grace and forgiveness, which is in the Blood of Jesus Christ. The other choice is to reject God's gift of grace and salvation, and suffer the final Judgment.

Some prophecies were specific in time frame, such as some of the ones in the Old Testament. Revelation is not time specific. So figuring out when it'll happen is rather fruitless. Even more fruitless is trying to find out with absolute certainty how everything will go down. I say, take and consider the message of Revelation and you will be prepared.

As for what translation of the Bible to read from. That is really up to you. Many people have many different options on the matter. Personally I have read the NLT, NIV, and the NASB. I've liked them pretty much the same. The NIV and NASB are more of a direct translation.

I remember the first time I read the Book of Revelation. I was a brand new Christian and was on a long busride from college, heading back home for school break. It happened to be from the KJV. Scared the daylights out of me!

Personally, I would read it from a modern translation, like NIV or NASB or NLT or...

The trouble with predictive propehcy, is that there has been enough study about whatever, to have a number of schools of thought... and that can be confusing and frustrating for people reading for the first time.

There are 3 basic views on the book:

1) The events took place between the 1st & 2nd Century.

2) The vents have been infolding throughout the past 2 millenia.

3) The events are to take place sometime yet.

Don't get hung up on trying to figure out the imagery and who represents what and when these things take place. In at nutshell, God wins and Satan loses. Those with faith in Jesus as Lord and Saviour are kept safe. The rest don't make it.

See you all in hell
smile.gif

JOKE PEOPLE!

When I was a Christian, I was a number 2, but replace millenia with about 2 or 3 centuries. If I still was, I'd say things are speeding up rapidly
smile.gif

Back