What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Book about a guy who grew everything..

Sig

Eats genetically engineered tomatoes
...On the windowsill of his new york apartment? I remember someone telling me about a book about a guy who fed himself from spring to fall solely off stuff he was able to grow in his new york apartment, using supplemental light also. I've been unable to find information on it or someone who has done something similar. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, please tell me, I'd appreciate it.

I imagine what I'm describing is not exactly how it went... relative to relative information gets a little distorted. Thanks!

He grew ALL his food?
that seems unlikely..
unless he had a huge amount of windows! ;)

Here is a guy using a balcony..that makes more sense:
http://adamsgardenblog.blogspot.com/2009/03/vegetable-gardening-in-small-space.html

and here is a book that came up while searching
http://www.amazon.com/apartment-farmer-hassle-free-vegetables-balconies/dp/0874770459

but windowsills only? in a NYC apartment?
not likely IMO..unless you are super-rich and have a HUGE apartment with many many windows..
With the NYC apartments I have stayed in, of college friends..not going to happen! ;)
one or two dingy dark windowsills..overlooking other buildings..

maybe it could be done, but you would need ideal, many, and very rare, windowsills..

Scot

Did you take into consideration that he might have supplemented his "vegetarian" diet with some protein such as pigeons! :puke:

You can collect those off the city windowsills too!
Yum-yum! :-)) (yuck!)

Did you take into consideration that he might have supplemented his "vegetarian" diet with some protein such as pigeons! :puke:

I believe it is called "squab" in higher dining establishments. :lol:

you would be hard pressed to get everything you eat from indoor gardening.....i grew up poor and we supplemented a huge part of our diet by a garden.....takes quite a few square feet to feed a person if your using nothing else or even just using it as the sole source of veggies, unless you dont eat many veggies.......

Silenceisgod, you are no doubt referring to none other than Steve Meyerowitz, aka Sproutman.

Steve was given the name Sproutman in the 70's by Vegetarian Times magazine because his New York City apartment was full of mini-vegetables...sprouts.

He has written some books on various health related topics. Check out his website:

http://sproutman.com/interview-steve-meyerowitz?chapter=2

dvg

I dunno, meyerowitz may be it. I think the format of the book was one of those "yearly challenge" things... Where somebody wants to do something practically impossible and then guides you through the research, the challenge, and the outcome. I dunno, maybe it doesn't exist, but with a topic like that I'd be surprised of someone hadn't attempted it.

I want to try pigeon.. Just not the pigeons with the bloodshot eyes that eat cigarette butts on the street, eww. Didn't someone propose the homeless eat pigeon? o.o

Growing everything you eat takes a LOT of room, as someone mentioned.
Figure out how many carrots or heads of cauliflower go into one meal!
Multiply that by 2-3 meals a day, and multiply that by 365 days!
That's a lot of food!

Also, sprouting is NOT growing your own food. It is taking a bunch of seed/grain
and wetting it and getting it to sprout and grow very slightly and then eating it!
It is not like growing veggys and fruit and such.
I can't imagine how anyone can eat sprouts for a full year!
I've had them, and a little is alright, but making it your staple takes a lot of....
commitment!

It may be healthy to eat sprouts, and you may even live longer...
but I have trouble understanding why I would want to live longer,
if it is only to prolong eating more sprouts! Yuck! :-D

I want to try pigeon.. Just not the pigeons with the bloodshot eyes that eat cigarette butts on the street, eww. Didn't someone propose the homeless eat pigeon? o.o

You can get pigeon is some of the more authenic chinese food places. It was nothing special and alot of effort for such little meat.

Back