What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bog

Hello,

The new (additional) pond and bog are in. I have used a mix of 50% Sphagnum Peat, 20% sand, 10% natural soil (clay based), 15% Perilite, and 5%Vermiculite(spelling?). The whole mix is covered with 2" of Sphagnum. Some whole Sphagnum was also mixed into the mix. The bog is fed by the pond and I rushed to get it in prior to rains that have been hitting the area. The bog has been wet for approximately 6 days. How long should I let it sit prior to adding the plants. I have read differant articles that have placed the wait anywhere between 7 and 30 days. What are your opinions on the length of wait?

hmmm, adding the natural soil wasn't a good idea (at least from what I've heard) it might have fertilizers in it that might harm your CPs. What kind of water is in the pond? hopefully distilled or rain water. If it is tap, don't add the cps. first cehck the mineral content. if it's under 100 PPM of TDM, then it's alright to use. I'd wait 30 days to add your CPs in, the longer the better.
smile.gif

Hope I could help,
-Spec

P.S.- someone here, in his signature, has a website just for making bog gardens for cps. who is this? I forgot the URL, so please, if you get this message, PM me the URL. Thanks

The earth should be ok. I do not believe in poisoning the ground so I only fert. up front for the nieghbors benefit. My backyard is dying very nicely. We are going to finish and go all the way. Clover for the back and pool yard, buffalo up front. Anyway it should be rather barren of fertilizer.

The pond water is prepared and safe. I made sure of that. The whole system is feed with rain water. I will need to store fairly large amounts for the dry season.

30 days, Okay...moan sigh. I can be patient
biggrin.gif

Oh, Also (reason for no fert.) My Youngest child, Zach, was born with sever, and apparently a newer form, of asthma. Be wary when fertilizer companies spray around your home. He reacts very badly to the mist. My daughter, 2 years older than Zach, was diagnosed with asthma last month. Ouch!

Asthma runs very high around here. One has to wonder if it has anything to do with all the pest. and fert. they use around here in the Bread Basket. Childhood Cancer is very high as well.

Ah, I feel better. My .02 cents.

And thanks for your reply. You are always helpful.

Back