What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bog vs Watertable (or the like)

I am at a cross roads as to what to do further with my sarr collection. This past winter I built an above ground bog much like Pyro's design. It has worked out pretty well and the plants are growing nicely but one downside I think is the lack of control of the water table. If it rains good and hard everything is under water.

I've been to Brook's place a few times and he is kicking butt with the water tables. Right now I am at the point if I add anything to my collection it can't go in the bog I have currently. So the decision to make this winter is "do I build another bog or set up a water table?"

opinions and reasons why welcome.

I have mine above ground in large circular container. One larger container holds the smaller one. I then placed a faucet like opening that I open during heavy rain so that everything doesnt end up as you said underwater.

Long term though a water table would be the way to go.

Here's what I mean (back container)
IMG_1943.JPG_595.jpg

I am a big fan of the self watering type pots. If you get a large windowsill pot it has about a gallon or so size reservoir at the bottom. The nice thing about these is that if you overwater, the reservoir has a runoff.

I have noticed that it also promotes massive root growth in sarracenia. The open air underneath the soil, I am sure allows plenty of oxygen to leak into the soil. And the open spaces allows the roots to spread out. I recently uprooted two judith hindles in my pot for a trade and the roots where 2 feet in length. They made thier way into the reservoir and spread throughout it. I wish I would have taken pics of the roots on them.

Here is a pic of what I am talking about. I have been searching hi and low for another pot of this type, but I cannot find one.
This massive clump is only 2 plants, about 4 years old and hasn't flowered yet.

Back