What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bog Theme, looking for input

chibae

An orchid fancier with a CP problem
Hi all. I am planning on putting in a new barrel sized or larger bog next spring. I'd like it to be a "themed" bog along the lines of what CC did with their gulf coast one but I have not decided which location I want to display. (Maryland, where I live now, Rhode Island where I grew up, etc) I live on the mid atlantic coast, USA zone 7a so any plants will be going through dormancy outside.
I can do the research myself to learn what cps grow or grew naturally in certain areas but am wondering if I should look for plants that were orginally from the area I decide to display. Any thoughts on this? Does anyone know where I can start looking for cps that are identified by their original location?
thanks in advance for any input

Does anyone know where I can start looking for cps that are identified by their original location?
For whatever reason, most people do not care about location info for their plants - although there are a few of us that do try and keep track of that. As for sellers who have the info - even fewer .... some that might have info - Meadowview, Mike Howlett, NASC seedbank .... and random growers here & there....

Well after some quick and dirty research i found only one sarr and 2 dews that are native to maryland, no pings or utrics. In the same area there are also cranberries and 2 native bog orchids.
My current barrel bog is already well populated withn the appropiate sarr, the cranberry and one of the orchids, so I may just move out the other sarrs and the vfts and add the dews and the other orchid and keep that bog as "native".
Good thing I love purps :D

For whatever reason, most people do not care about location info for their plants - although there are a few of us that do try and keep track of that. As for sellers who have the info - even fewer .... some that might have info - Meadowview, Mike Howlett, NASC seedbank .... and random growers here & there....

I agree, it is a bit unsettling too. I ordered some plants that are supposed to be native to my area (upper midwest) but for all I know I could have received a D. intermedia 'Cuba' which obviously wouldn't fit with the other plants. I guess I will find out this winter where it came from. It's hard to give what the plant needs when it has such a large range and no info as to its origin.

Back