What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bog media

What is a good bog media and where do i buy bulk of the stuff if there is one
or could i just find a mix already made from someone
i am looking for enough to fill up a kiddy pool the ones from walmart

Same stuff you would use to plant vft, sarracenia etc in but in BULK scale. This time of year walmart, homedepot, any garden center etc should have large bales of peatmoss. That and some silica sand from a pool supplier and your all set.

No clue how much it would take to fill a kiddie pool. Try and calculate how much volume is in the pool roughly in cubic feet.
Tony

what is the ratio on the peat / silica sand i didnt know that silica sand was in the pool section

and what do i use to line it for an inground one

Silica sand is used in pool filters. There are other sources than a pool supply store but this should be the easiest one to find.

I have never built a bog so I can only say that probably 25-30% sand would be a decent guess. I guess it partly depends on what plants you really want to keep in the bog and how deep it will be, as well as the water level point.

You could dig a pit and line it with several layers of 6mil plastic sheeting but if you really want it to last long term then you need something heavy duty like pond liner or a large plastic tub.

Tony

Back