What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bog garden, sarrs and red clay

Ok, I started digging out a Bog Garden that's 14' x 3', and was intending to make it 15" deep. My yard is on top of red clay (which is a real pain to dig).

I was intending to dig the 15" and lay down 2 layers of 6 mil plastic with slits cut for drainage, some rock on top of that and then fill the rest in with a sand/peat mix. Top with plastic for weeds and then top that with rock.

I've already ordered for this bog garden:

Sarracenia leucophylla
S. Leuchphylla 'Tarnok'
S. Leucophulla x willisii "Dana's Delight'
S. x Judith Hindle
S. rubra rubra

The plants will be staying in the garden year-round and I am in zone 7.

So, my questions are:

1) With the red clay--do I need to dig down the full 15" and lay the plastic?

2) being in zone 7--can I build UP some, instead of just digging down the full 15"?

3) Is red clay good or bad for these plants--too rich?

Any pointers are Greatly appreciated!

Thanx!

Hi,

I don't know if it's too late for this, you posted some time ago, but I would advise not puting in any drainage holes. It's amazing how desicated the bog will get in a hot spell. Also, if your water table comes up, as is often does in my heavy clay as it can't drain fast enough, water can come in from the soil, full of fertilizers.

I would think you could use the dirt you dig to buil up the sides. Tamp it down well and think adobe. It will probably be pretty strong.

I always recommend a pipe that goes down to the bottom, and then runs the length of the bog. Have small holes in it as it goes down the length of the bog so water can seep in. That way if you need to drain it or flush it you merely take a pump with a hose, or a wet/dry vac and suck the water out through the pipe.

You can check my bog construction at my web site.

Stephen Davis
www.carnivorousplants.homestead.com

Make sure the rocks are quartz or granite any others will likely kill your plants!!!

That idea for the bog/pond was very clever
my dad is going to extend our pond this year to make a little stream that connocts to the pond
biggrin.gif
ill help him and make it like this to i can grow CP outside 2 YAY!!!
thanks 4 the inspiration,
Hellz

Back