What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bog garden questions

i have two "water garden" plastic tubs that i want to turn into bog gardens... they are about 2 feet deep and i was wondering if anyone has anytips on what to put in the bottom of the tub so i don't waste so much soil... i want to try to keep it light so i don't stress the plastic too much...any help would be great... thanks

I would fill the whole thing with soil if you are planting Sars. I have an unsubstantiated theory that they can be very happy with 1.5 to 2 feet of soil under them.

Also put a perforated pipe down through the bottom that pops up in one corner. It helps determine how much water is in there, give you a place to ad more water, and allows you to take water out if you have to.

If you really want to lighten it a bit, you could put in 6" of perlite. You could also mix it with the rest of the soil instead of sand, I believe. Use peat and sand for the top 3" to 6" as perlite looks awful in my opinion. It does have a tendency to float to the top, so I'd put in a little more than less of the peat/sand at the top.

Stephen Davis
www.carnivorousplants.homestead.com
Bog 01 is a great place for construction shots of my bog. A little different than yours, of course

I just made a bog out of a pond liner. It's also about 2ft deep in the center. I used a mixture of pine bark nuggets and silca pebbles. It reduces the amount of peat that I have to use and it also creates a space in the bottom that can store water. This is the first time that I have done one this way so I'll have to keep you posted on how well it works.

Back