What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bog garden questions

members that have a bog graden- do you always have water in the bog? if so how do you keep it from getting to stagnet? also doesn't the cost of distilled water get to be up there always having to use it for a nice size bog?

Hey Jeff,
Yes, I always have water in the bog. I let the level go up and down, but don't let it drain completely. My bogs rest in larger bowls of water, so every couple of weeks I dump the water out and replace it with fresh water.

And yes, the cost of distilled water becomes a factor after a while, especially if you have several mini bogs as I do. I have two ways of controlling the costs, first, I buy "reverse osmosis" filtered water from a vending machine outside my local supermarket for 35 cents a gallon, and second, I've purchased a reverse osmosis filter for my home, which I haven't installed yet. With just one mini-bog, however, you don't really go through that much water, unless you're in really hot, dry conditions.

Capslock

alright thats cool - have any pictures? also i was thinking about putting one of my flytraps outside in my landscape. it would be in total sun all day long. my hardest part would be keeping it wet enough. with the mulch around the flytrap tha should help maybe to keep the moisture in the soil and moss and stuff??? i have a big bag of spahgum moss. also what if i just dug a hole and filled it with the moss and left the flytrap in the plastic pot when i buried it??? would that not allow the plant to breath enough? i have heard of people doing this with plants and then when it would get could thye could just pull them out and bring them inside. i might try leaving it outside in the winter. i just use distilled water from the store- would boiling water be any good or no? thanks Jeff

Jeff, in my bog gardens, I let the water level flucuate to help airate the soil. I never let the soil dry out. Also, in the area I live in, I can use tap water for my plants. You can always purchase an aquirum test kit to test the water in your area to see if it is acceptable for carnivorous plants. That is what a friend of mine did, so we no longer have to make any trips to the store for water.

what are you testing the water for?

Jeff,

You would test the water mostly for mineral content. CPs require low mineral content. Chlorine is also a problem, but you can let that evaporate.

Here is a pic of my outdoor bogs:
Outdoorbogs2.JPG

Capslock

ok maybe i will test the water then.... also were could i find a small 12inch container or something for a little pond or something for a small bog?

thanks

I have an in ground bog. I to let the water level flucuate, but no dry completely. My bod is fed by a pond which is fed by rain barrels. I also mist the bog with water from the barrels.

copper let me see some pictures:)

I will try to get some on in a couple of days.

My micro bogs consist of 2 small round plastic pond containers. They handle the weather well (since they are made to be outdoors) and are small enough that I can dump the water periodically or move them if necessary. They only cost 11.99 at Lowes...not too bad. My plants are potted.

Suzanne

Could someone help me? I am 14 and have grown a deep passion for CP's. I just bought 6 CP's about 2 weeks ago,
1 Venus Flytrap, 3 Nepenthes pitcher plants, and two sundews, one unknown and one Drosera. They look kind of plain sitting in their three inch pots, so I want to make and outdoor bog. I bought a large whiskey barrel and a large bag of sphagnum peat moss. What do I do now?
confused.gif

Back