What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bog construction

where could i find a small 12in or so container to make a bog out of.... like a mini pond type thing? thanks Jeff

Jeff,

For an outdoor bog, what you really want is a pot with drainage holes in the bottom that you set into a tray or shallow bowl of water. These things are available at any garden store or Home Depot or Lowes or anything like that. If you don't want to spend anything, you can be creative with buckets or other containers that happen to be lying around. But again, don't try to make an outdoor bog with a single undrained container. Use a pot or bowl set into a second container of water, like in the picture I posted in your other thread.

Capslock

I have used Rubbermaid tubs. Fill them with your medium and drill hole about an inch or so below the soil surface for drainage so they don't flood. You can also do the same thing with 5 gallon buckets.

Mini_bog_web.jpg

Sarracenias_web.jpg

cool ok guys thanks- is it to late in the summer now to bother to set a bog like that up outside??? it would be neat to make like alittle pond type bog with a container, but i would never find anything that small like what they sell for fish ponds.

try a kids plastic swiming pool. the ones that are two feet tall kinda cheesy unless its summer and your less than 8 years old

The kid pools are perfect, and if exhibiting it in your yard make you shy, just bury it, cover it with a liner or it's side with a wall of rocks.

I think it's a little late to plant a bog (especially here, in Quebec), unless you are careful when you plant, to do not stress the plants. Since they are near their dormancy, it is better to let them gain a lot of energy and avoid stress (it helps to survive dormancy, but perhaps this stress isn't much critical as here...)

yeah i will wait till spring to make a setup thanks guys

Back