What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blue?

there was a post on this forum about producing a blue vft with color dyes. was it succsessful? i like to share my ideas on how to get a blue one...

1. get a extremly green form of vft. since the color patter goes like red to orange to yellow to green to blue, the green vft should eventually get a tint of greenish blue.

2. the complet opposite of 1. get a very red vft. make it go purple, then to a dark blue.

i don't know if these ideas will work, but maybe someone should try? Zongyi

Very clever Zong!
smile.gif
tounge.gif
wink.gif

Seriously folks, how many blue plants do you know about? Not just flowers, plants.

They are green for a reason, there are necessary chemicals that are green. Only way you can get rid of it is to mask it. Unless you plan to go into genetic engineering, I doubt there will be a naturally blue VFT.

yes, but my idea is like the totally red vft. it is all red, but the green stuff is still in the leaf. my idea is to change this outside coating of color but enhancing it. Zongyi

I've been wondering about totally red vfts. The chlorophyll in the chloroplasts is what makes the plant green, so what makes a red vft red instead of green?? And how does it perform photosynthesis?? Anyone know??

-buckeye

wow , so many questions that are hard to anser . i agree that there will never actually be a blue vft , you can try to experiment though , it never hurts to experiament because you learn from what you done . can any of you find a plant with no green at all , its quite impossible , even the red dragon vft that can be pure red still have small tinges of green on it . plants are green because of chloroplast and chlorophyll , they produce food for the plant to grow . have you ever noticed that the red form plants are much slower and smaller growing plants then the typical regular ones. i think tis because the red blocks the sun from the chlorophyll and the chloroplast don't get enough light to prouce food whcih make thems grow slower . what makes a green plant turn red , anthocyanin , a chemical found in plants with the red pigment .

Buckeye Said </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The chlorophyll in the chloroplasts is what makes the plant green, so what makes a red vft red instead of green?? And how does it perform photosynthesis?? Anyone know??
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

"Chloroplasts always contain the green pigment chlorophyll along with enzymes and other products that function in the photosynthetic production of food. The chlorophyll of chloroplasts may be masked by other pigments such as phycoerythrin and phycocyanin, giving red and blue plastids, respectively. However, all coloured chloroplasts, whatever their apparent colour, contain chlorophyll. "

So whatever pigment is produced in the Chloroplast, it does not prevent the Chlorophyll from photosynthesising.

That quote explains it better than I could ever hope too. The original web page can be found Here
Goldtrap2690 said </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> plant are green because of chloroplast , chlorophyll , and also chlorine and chloroform
confused.gif
, they produce food for the plant to grow[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I've heard that Chloroform is used to extract Chlorophyll from Chloroplast's. However I've not heard that Chlorine and Chloroform are present in plants cells, or are used for food production. Is this true? Any references handy?

Goldtrap2690 said
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">can any of you find a plant with no green at all, its quite impossible[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Wow, that got me thinking. You're probably right, but it's bugging me as I think I've seen plants out there without any green. I guess to qualify there would have to be no TRACE of green in them (Even the new growth).

What about the Japanese Maple ( Acer palmatum 'Dissectum Atroppureum' ) ? The classic Japanese maple has red-purple leaves which turn a brilliant red in autumn.Japanese Maple Picture Info about it
Or the A. japonicum 'Aureum', which produces all yellow leaves?

Anyone else seen plants that are any colour, other than Green? Goldtrap is surely right, these plants probably display some tinge of green somwhere on them, during there lifecycle. I don't have one handy to check! It's really bugging me though.

I also think an all blue VFT is out, unless genetic engineering or something similar is used. It sounds simple enough. Find the code for producing anthocyanin (the red CP pigment) and replace with the code for producing phycocyanin (a blue plant pigment) (Do this to an all red VFT and you get an all blue VFT, or you turn into BrundleFly! heheheh, evil laugh)

But people having been playing with Blue and plants for years. Look up the quest to breed an all blue Rose!

Jacko

There are cases of blue but it is pretty uncommon in normally red/purple colored plants. Basically you need a mutation at the correct spot that halts the conversion of the anthocyanin precursors to the end product. SOME of the intermediate compounds appear blueish.

Color compounds appear in different parts of the plant cells. Some are in the chloroplasts some are in the vacuole etc. Red pigments don't affect photosynthesis to much because they still allow blue light to pass through which is more important for the plant.

Not sure what you mean by an example of a plant without any green. There are plenty of plants that look like they don't have any green color. The chlorophyll is still there but it is covered up by some other color. It can even affect the color your actually seeing. Example: Anthocyanin is red. If you have green underneath it you get purple/black appearing color. The concentration of each will determine the color we perceive.

Tony

i'm gonna stop joking around a bit cuz i can see that people really want to know something with no confusion . chlorine ( that stuff for swimming pools ) and chloroform ( that stuff that makes you go to sleep that spies use are not in plants , at least i don't think they are , they are something i added becuz they could like chloroform and chrlorplast . how ddi that winking smile become a curious smile
wink.gif
-
confused.gif
. " can any of you find a plant with no green at all, its quite impossible " , hhm , this may not have anything to do with this but since it made pople think alot i might as well put this in too " it is impossible to lick your elbow "
wink.gif
. ( 75% of people will try this ) . i've heard of the japanese maples ( my favorite maple tree ) , it does'nt have a light amount of green tinge to it if you look carefully and its not always red , some parts of the season i have seen it turn green , i don't own one myself though .the only plant that would have no green is a dead plant
wink.gif
. i rarely find a blue plant but most fo the time the blue is in the flower . i have seen a flytrap with WHITE color , meaning no green nor red , whuite like a ghost .

Back