What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's bizzare, I can't grow ventricosa well. Back before my hamata died they grew side by side. Hamata would pitcher while ventricosa would just throw out leaves. It's the only plant in my collection that does not pitcher. I guess that the beginner species just don't like me. I still have it today along side stenophylla, ramispina, izumea, truncata, eymae, ceasar, and 11 veitchii hybrid seedlings from Jimmy, thanks. So, any thoughts. Medium is fine and no signs of pest. It is 4 inches from 2 T8's

I've always had trouble with N. ventricosa, too. It really is a strange phenomenon.

xvart.

Does it need stem support?

I've had a few Neps that refused to pitcher for me until I either planted them deeper in the media, or tied the stem to a stake, effectively giving them more support. That gave them more of a chance to settle in and grow more roots.

No, it's only four inches tall. It came from a cutting I made from the ventricosa I started out with.

Just a possibility, but i think there are a lot of weak clones of Ventricosa around. I was having the same problem with a few Ventricosas, but then I received a Ventricosa 'K' and seed grown Ventricosas and they seem to be growing just great. Here is a pic I just took the other day for a pic post: (Ventricosa 'K'). My other Ventricosas that I received a couple years back are actually declining right next to the same pot this plant is in.

VentricosaK2.jpg

That's a great ventricosa. How big is it?

Thank you :). This thing is probably around 5-6 inches tall minus the lid.

I can't get ventricosa to grow well either. I have killed one and the other 2 I have are 4 year old cuttings that are still tiny and hardly ever pitcher.

My first ventricosa passed away about a year ago for reasons unknown.

My new little ventricosa is a Lowe's rescue that I suspect is seed grown and is quite small but growing slowly and steadily. I think that this one may make it to "adulthood". ;)

Mine suddenly declined to the point I thought it was going to die. I still don't know why it suddenly went downhill as no conditions had changed. But now, about 6 months later, it is doing great. I really like ventricosas. My main complaint is that the pitchers don't seem to last all that long on my plant.

Hmm, my ventricosa seems to only pitchers for me if it gets full sun during the summer and usually makes large healthy pitchers even though the stem needs support. I think certain clones are just hardy while others are weak like nepenthes. Nightsky, I don't have that problem, usually mine would last until next summer but, usually the lid and lips dry out and I cut off the pithers becuase of lower humidity.

My N. ventricosa has pitchered well for me in a variety of conditions...LL in a near-saturated terrarium, then low-humidity LL on the windowsill, then in an outdoors covered growrack (in NM summer shade/partial sun) that fried a few cacti epidermises, then back on the windowsill, in intermediate-HL conditions. It makes the best, most colorful and sturdy pitchers in HL conditions...

...especially when the tendril inflates in the shade. Could it be that the tendrils are getting too much light for their comfort?

Hmm, I think Jimy might be right, maybe you could try shading one of the fresh trendals? (usually mine plants pitchers are shaded by the plants leaves)

I have a Ventricosa that I bought from the Warehouse (eqiuvalent to Lowes, but different country)
which has sent up it's first pitcher for me - a full 10cm not inlcuding the lid. This plant is on a sunny windowsill, which reaches up to the mid 20's (degrees celcius) sometimes to 30, but drops to 15 degrees or less at night. Can't comment on humidity, but my plant really seems to like it there :)

maybe your conditions are too advanced : O and they are a new cultivar of ventricosa that needs to be in bad conditions. o_o ya never know.

Back