What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bird repellent

Hey all!

Speaking of increadibly pesky pests (ie squirrels) I'm having bird problems yet again.
sad.gif
I asked my dad about buying a pellet gun, and it turns out that gun laws in PR are way more strict than in the US.
confused.gif
In the meantime, is there such a thing as a natural bird repellent? It's either that, making a blowgun (how exactly do you make them schloaty?), or trapping the birdies.

I absolutely refuse to put my plants behind any sort of netting!
mad.gif

Thanks in advance.

Jœl

Ah, so you need to catch some birds? well, I have the perfect thing for you...
Get the book, "The American boys handy book" it tells you how to make traps for birds, how to make blowguns, and much more, check amazon.com
smile.gif

Mindmaze,

a Cat would do the trick or i have seen people put up fish line that is strung above a pool to keep them out.

to make a blow gun simply get a straw. always worked in school for spit balls to be shot.

My dad has had problems with deer. A little bigger than birds. A non CP problem, do deer eat CPs? Anyhow, there is a product called the scarecrow which is basically a sprinkler with a photo-eye. When critters large or small pass into the sensors path, they get blasted with water. It works but might be hard on your CPs. I think it costs around $80 dollars. Its humane and there is no body to dipose of.

Bird netting works too but looks like #*@!

Mindmaze,
i just thiught of another think that works really good on scaring them off. get a plastic owl. at this jungle gardens place here in town they have a owl and the trainers say not even an eagle with mess with them.

Try a rubber snake. You can often find inflatable snakes that are made just for that purpose, to scare birds away from friuts and veggie. Move the snake often to keep the birds on their toes. Here in the South, folks hang aluminum pie plates with string and they bang and flash in the wind scaring the birds away. NOW, does that make a pretty garden moment? DO NOT KILL the birds! That is not a long term solution. They will only be replaced with an endless supply that will move in to take their place. I don't think they are a threat to CP's. You might also try sticking twigy branches in the pots to keep the birds from getting to the pots until spring when there will be plenty else to eat. In general, herbivores(deer and cattle) will not eat pitcher plants. The alkilodes and the smell of decaying insects deter them. I have seen this first hand in wild stands in FL.

well I did some looking and if you want to try your luck with some comercial products here are some links...

sonic bird repeller

Yeouch those are a  bit expensive though
wow.gif
maybe if you find a large mean bird you could irritate it and record it tellin you to back off and have the same affect ? just a thought...

Here is something people put on thier berries to keep them from eating thier crops Im hoping since they put it on berries which we eat that it will be safe for CPs...

crop gaurdian

Then there is the ole balloon thing with the eyes painted on it that has been around forever so it has to work or it would be canned by now...

buggy eyed ballon

ok I give thats all the ideas I have for now

You could suspend fine netting over your plants to keep the birds out. Maybe tie several sections of shiny ribbon in the net to let the birds know to keep away so they don't get tangled up.

Hope it helps

Brian

Mindmaze, if you're really interested, I'll tell you how to make a blow gun for, about $6. If that.
They are non-lethal (unless you want other wise), and I used to be able to hit a soda can at about 50 paces
wow.gif

regular pygme, I was!
I once shot a chicadee (spelling?) at about 20 feet away...they had started nesting where they weren't welcome. Didn't hurt 'em...too much. Enough to scare the #@$! out of 'em, though.
wink.gif

I'm guessing it is spring time in your neighborhood, still winter in mine :-( , but the attraction is most likely the moss and dried plant parts that the birds want for nesting. Try using various lengths of yarn and even the lint from the dryer as a way to entice them away (could also use hair from hairbrushes and brushing dog or cats). Set the decoy close by your planted area to start then move further away if they take the bait.

If they are after your plants for bugs that may be in the soil or around the plant, I'd suggest buying bird seed and set up a feeding station for them elsewhere in the yard. I find the birds in my neighborhood to be pretty lazy, if the food is around without having to work for it they'll go for it first. If bird seed is not desirable, try one of those pre made suet cakes hanging off a tree branch or shepards hook.

Good luck

Check out what some of the local farmer's use, especially veggie farmers. The birds are pests in lettuce fields and so forth. They often tie reflective foil strips to fences, and that seems to help quite a bit.

A scare crow? Sometimes an Owl decoy works...I just do not know how long before they find out is decoy. Then again if you have crows, the crows would end attacking the Owl decoy.
confused.gif

travis

Back