What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BioGold: My Nepenthes' Saviour.  
The fertiliser comes in the form of triangular prisms that smell of ammonia and rotting fish.  We (Steve LaWarre (of Frederik Meijer Gardens) and I)wondered whether Nepenthes would benefit from this weak, organic fertiliser.  The only concern we had was that of pitcher production, which usually ceases (as we all know)when a Nep is fed the wrong way.  
Some time later, after having applied BioGold to several N. rafflesiana plants, we found that the new growth was almost twice as large and healthy, as well as the pitchers.  So at this point, I went around the collection with a handful, plopping just one piece on the growing medium for each Nep that seemed to need it.  All the plants that have received this treatment have increased in size and vigor.  Pitcher production has increased and it's amazing.  So far, all the plants I grow have responded wonderfully!  The only drawback is the green algae, but this doesn't even seem to bother germinating Nepenthes.
I have also found that the fertiliser helps boost the size of a 4" mature plant to it's proper size and vigor.  So if i find a plant that seems slightly retarded in growth, I give it a shot and sit back.  My N. merrilliana was one of my slowest growers at 3", and now it is double that size after two new leaves, and is raging.
I believe a nursery in Texas supplies the US with BioGold.  If anyone is to get any, purchase the most basic one (Original), which is what Steve LaWarre and I use.

Good growing!

I missed this post before. This stuff is very interesting. The plants that they were using it on were in very good condition and pitchering very nicely. I hope to be trying the BioGold soon on some of my Ventratas.

hi shokuchuu,

Now this is what I've been looking for!!!!
smile.gif
Goodbye superthrive.
smile.gif
Do they sell this product overseas because I am in Australia?

thanks
Christian

is there anywebsites that sell this?
ill prob do a google search on it
Thanks in advanced,
Hellz

I just ordered some off of some bonsai website for $2.50
Is there different types of this stuff?
And is there any plants in your experience that hasn't done well due to this product?

I want bio gold!
smile_h_32.gif

Hey Everyone, I'm glad Amori mentioned this. We have been very happy with the responce from Nepenthes when given a LIGHT application of Biogold.

A litle about biogold:

- 100% organic
- Analysis: 5.5-6.5-3.5
- Made by the Tsubaki Sangyo Co, Ltd in Japan.

I get it from Ed Meehan, a bonsai tools and supplies dealer. He can be contacted at emeehan@piasanet.com

You can order biogold from him online here

I have nothing to do with Eds buisness, so I am not endorsing him, I do order from him quite often and he is a good honest dealer.

It is inportant to note, this is still a true fertilizer and I would bet you could screw up your plant if you used it to excess. SO, remember that a little goes a long way. I think Amory only used one piece for pots less then 6" and maybe two pieces for larger baskets. Does that sound about right Amori?

Steve

Interesting stuff, Amori and Steve. Would it nix the algae problem if you topped th pots with a thin layer of pure orchid bark?

Cheers,

Joe

Back