What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Biggest nep

• Thread starter AzNsUShi41
  • Start date
im looking for a nep that has a large pitcher, which species hav the biggest?

biggest ive seen is 7inches

Well theres been a lot of debate over that. Whether it is N.truncata,merilliana,or rajah. For actual size and not capacity I`d say truncata:)

Why not get all three of them?

I own two of them. They are Rajah and Truncata.

i jus did som research, a site said that the rajah is the biggest and most famous nep, and it also said that the truncata is the 3rd

I think that some of that data may be a bit out of date. There has always been a distinction between size as between height and volume. Rajah was often considered to have the largest volume. However, with the discovery of highland truncata whose pitchers are larger than the lowland variant, it might be larger in volume than rajah.

I have to disagree, whilst you may want rajh to be the biggest. N. merilliana is infact the biggest as far as pitcher size goes. Some pitcher can hold up to 3.5 liters of fluid. rjah is "only" like to 2 liters.

i prefer the length and not the volume, i want the biggest!

well merrilliana has to be big in all aspects to hold that much fuild
smile_m_32.gif
laugh.gif

Well, if you want length:N. truncata
Go down to the one with Steve holding the new N. truncata pitcher at the Frederik Meijer Gardens. That's nothing compared to the ones those plants put out now though.
Also I hear highland truncata _can_ get a lot bigger than lowland truncata, possibly growing twice as fast if in the right conditions (I'm quoting Mr. Cantley here, since it's what he told me when I bought my highlander, and I believe him!)!
Good luck in your ongoing search!

Amori

I though I read somewhere that a rajah was found once (in the wild) that held 4 liters....But that may have been urban - er - rural legend.

Back