What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to update the list I think... But this time, instead of listing by store, I would like to attempt to list by nursery, as which nursery a store carries may vary by region... Help me fill in the list! I'll edit it to add what folks let me know of. I'll start the list with what I've seen locally to me, as well as what common name they label it as in parenthesis...

List Last Editted: September 8, 2005

Booman Floral:
Dionaea muscipula
Drosera capensis
Drosera spatulata(?)
Pinguicula x 'Titan'
Sarracenia purpurea ssp. venosa
Sarracenia flava

Botanical Wonders/Hanover:
Darlingtonia californica (Cobra Lily)
Dionaea muscipula 'typical' (Venus Flytrap)
Drosera adelae (Sundew)
Nepenthes ventricosa(?) (Tropical Pitcher Plant)
Pinguicula primuliflora (Butterwort)
Sarracenia purpurea ssp. venosa (Purple Pitcher Plant)
Sarracenia rubra (Red Pitcher Plant) (Ok, perhaps this is really another wrigleyana, help?)
Sarracenia x 'Judith Hindle'? (Sarracenia Judith Hindle) (I can't confirm that this is really Judith Hindle, and I haven't bought one yet to grow it out and see...)
Sarracenia x wrigleyana (Pitcher Plant)

Colisantis:
Dionaea muscipula
Nepenthes ventricosa(?)
Sarracenia x 'Dana's Delight'

Gubler's Orchids:
Darlingtonia californica
Dionaea muscipula
Drosera adelae
Drosera capensis 'Alba'
Drosera spatulata
Nepenthes unknown

Little Pot of Horrors:
Dionaea muscipula
Drosera spatulata
Pinguicula primuliflora
Sarracenia leucophylla

Nurseryman's Exchange:
Dionaea muscipula 'typical'
Dionaea muscipula 'Dente' (Bug-Eating Plant)
Dionaea muscipula 'Green Dragon'

B.W also brings in P. primuliflora and some kind of Nep., possibly a ventricosa or sanguinea (as ID'd by the TF experts)

Little Pot has brought in VFT's, D. spatulata, P. primuliflora, and S. leucophylla.

And there is another supplier - Colisantis, sending VFT's, N. ventricosa (?), and S. 'Dana's Delight.

I don't remember what one it is but a nursery that TCs in FLA has rubra ssp jonseii

Added edits. Thanks guys, keep it up!

I've never seen any of the above cp vendors. On the west coast I have seen the following:

Gubler's Orchids:
Drosera capensis 'Albino'
Nepenthes unknown
Darlingtonia californica
D.adelae
Dionaea
D.spatulata

Booman Floral:
Pinguicula 'Titan'
Dionaea
Sarracenia purpurea ssp. venosa
Sarracenia flava
Drosera capensis
Drosera spatulata(?)

Back from August away from home and trying to get caught up. I'll go over the lists and update shortly. I've also become convinced that the Botanical Wonders 'S rubra' I have is not a S. rubra at all, but another S. x wrigleyana.

I couldn't tell at first because the larger pitchers had been snipped off to fit in the cube! But now the smaller pitchers are growing up and they look nothing like the photos in Savage Garden of S. rubra, but suspiciously like the unlabelled generic 'pitcher plant' Botanical Wonders sells that turned out to be a S. x wrigleyana.

I don't know if they just sell the S. x wrigleyana under two names, both inaccurate, or if this particular specimen got mislabelled because the pitchers were so trimmed to fit in the package. Anyone else have any insights? Anyone else with a Botanical Wonders 'S. rubra'?

Back in the early 90's little pot of horors in Georgia carried P. vulgaris(possibly grandiflora or longifolia, some type of boreal ping) and D. rotundifolia. They don't sell those anymore, possibly because they are impossible to grow in the Georgia climate.

I have also gotten a P. ionantha from little pot of horors(thought it was P.primuliflora until it flowered). I have been told that for a very brief period of time several years ago P.ionantha was in mass-production tissue culture.

I've only seen Gubler's plants at the stores near me. I've bought a lot of plants from them at Home Depot and Lowe's, but I've never seen a Cape Sundew or a Cobra Lily sold by them. Shucks
biggrin.gif

Back