What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big Bical on Ebay in '06

Hiya All-

As some of you know, I am on a quest to have a MONSTER N. bical reside in my up and coming greenhouse (unfortunately, I'm still questing).

But during my search, I heard that there was a huge N. bical that was auctioned off on Ebay last year.

Any chance any of you folks know the details of said plant and what it finally went for?

Just curious :rolleyes:

Thanks to those who have read and replied to this thread :hail:

Bo :rookwoot:

That may have been mine when I sold off all my collection when my dad got heart probs and I didn't have time for the plants. IIRC it sold for $200 or $250 but i couldn't be positive. I was lucky the buyer was local and I just met him at the orchid shop and we did the deal. Shipping it would have been a nightmare.

Have you got a bical already? They were the among the fastest growing neps for me, maybe not in leaf production per se but in the size gains attained with each consecutive leaf can be stunning. I grew two giants, one got killed in a solo repotting effort the other got sold but they grow monstrous porportions in only a couple years in the conditions I gave them, 400 W metal halide (6500K), temps 85-100*F and nights never below 70*F. I also had the out put of an utrasonic humidifier hooked to a humidistat blowing through hose into the chamber and that kept it at 80-95% humidity. Since I grew mounted orchids in the same chamber they got "rain every day or two while i was spraying the mounted plants with water and urea free orchid fertilizer backsplash. I fed crickets every week into active pitchers that weren't overfilled, get a sack of crickets and freeze them, defrost them in some warm water and it's feeding time!

Hi Swords, do you have a pic of what your set up looked like or looks like?

Hiya Swords-

Sorry to hear about your father's health conditions as of last year. Hopefully things have gotten better for the both of you and your family.

May I ask how big was your bical when you sold it and how large were the pitchers?

No, unfortunately I have not found my MONSTER. It may look like I have to grow my own beastie . . . he, he, he.

Besides the neps, I will probably have some orchids in their with them. So something similar like yours.

Thanks for the info on your growing conditions. Basically I'm thinking steam room ha, ha,ha.

Hopefully things are better or getting better that you can be a CP'er again.

Good Luck Sword
:bigthumpup:

Bo

Ha,ha,ha :-))

Hiya Phissionkorps-

I'm kinda like wanting to have the "beauty and the beast" theme in my greenhouse. Although one of them pink bodied vetchii could come across as beauty . . . he, he, he . . .hmmmmm . . . mental note, add pink vetchii to "want list" . . . :grin:

Good Growing to ya.

Bo :boogie:

you might as well call it ugly and the beast cause the orchids will be butt ugly and green most of the year. You want a beauty, get that rafflesiana. Orchids are the devil's work.
Your choice though of course!

Ha, ha, ha . . . :-D

Never thought that orchids were the devils work, but then again, some of them flowers are kinda shape like a woman's . . .ahem :censor: , and ya know what happend to Adam when he met Eve . . . everything went downhill from there (sorry ladies :sorry: )

Bo :boogie:

so THAT'S why so many people grow them... :-))

You should investigate how Dionaea got the nickname of tipitiwitchet :)

i wonder if you can feed your nepenthes some of those orchids... with the beef jerky topped pizza of course..:-D

Back