What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bicalcarata

Does anyone know a place that sells nep. bicalcaratas (small ones) that is in the US?
smile.gif

Never mind, got a place that carries them.
smile.gif

No point in wasting forum space with this post. How humid must it be for a bical to pitcher? And when I recieve my plant in a few days, how many weeks will it take to develop teeth?
smile.gif
wink.gif
blues.gif

N. biclacarata is a true lowland species which grows best in hot (85-95*F days & 70-75*F nights), humid (no less than 80% for pitchering) and bright lighting (more than one or two fluorescent tubes (at least 4) and the lighting must increase with the plants age/size. The plant is fast growing (meaning each new leaf is usually a good deal larger than the one before it) so don't expect it to live in a fishtank for too long. It will grow to six feet in diameter BEFORE it begins to climb and you can prune it, so start your planning for it's future home now.

The plant will not usually start creating adult shaped pitchers with fangs until it is about 15-20 cm (6-8 inches) in diameter. My 30cm (12 inch) diameter "baby" bicals have almost mature shaped pitchers, they are still slightly oblong whereas the adults will be almost perfectly round.

bical1003.jpg

It will take aproximately 12 months (one year) in my conditions for my small bicals to go from 30 cm (12") diameter to 170 cm (56") diameter with 20 cm pitchers. But this is in automated climate controlled conditions which does not vary throughout the year. If you're relying on sunlight, household temps or natural humidity, etc. These will all change the speed with which your plant grows and develops.

hope that helps!

Okay, thanks, this is very helpful. Since it will come at about 3 inches, I will keep it in my 18 gallon aquarium. (now a terrarium) Would about 75 watts be ok for the plant when it is still very miniscule? (3 or 4 inches) I could maybe increase the light up to 100 watts (flourescent) but the bulbs wouldn't go in real well. Temperatures are not a prob. for me, They are always from approximately 73-89 degrees f. Thanx, you've given a lot of info on this.
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (droseradude @ Oct. 27 2003,12:06)]18 gallon aquarium. (now a terrarium) Would about 75 watts be ok for the plant when it is still very miniscule?
blink.gif

Um, yeah, that ought to do it... toasty bical. Yummy.

Seriously, though. What kind of lighting is that? If your plant is going to be close to the lights you might get some burn with that much lighting, at least to begin with.

There is no need to fear the leaves changing color from bright lighting. As long as you have high humidity (i.e a sealed tank lid) there is nothing to worry about when using fluorescents. The plant will adapt to higher light better than it will dim light. It will be healthier and grow/develop faster than in dim light. Sunlight is likely a different story and I can not comment on that.

What size is an 18 gallon tank? That's not a standard size so I don't know what kind of light tubes you can put over that What combination of bulbs makes 75 watts?
I was thinking more along the lines of 4x 4 ft long flourescent tubes. I use six 40 watt tubes=240 watts over my 75 gallon lowland tank for my small plants and rooting cuttings.

You will likely be able to keep it in a tank with a 12" width/depth for about a year. After the plant reaches 12" in diameter it will begin to create larger and larger leaves and then it will have to be moved to where the leaves may stretch out and develop fully.

I don't use tubes for the lighting, I use those small flourescent lamps that you screw in the cover on one side only. (one side of the light-bulb) However, they are very bright.
Twelve inches... that seems ok, the bottom of the terr. is about that size. I'll have to check.

I currently have purchased a 4 inch diameter Bical...and I've had it for about a month..or so...It seems to like my condtions...I have two flourecents that are 15 watt in a ten gallon tank...Humidity has never dropped below 60...because..I don't think it can :p So far it has made four pitchers and 6 new leaves...The pitchers get about twice as big as the previous one  
biggrin.gif
 I also have put tinfoil around the tank..to increase lighting..I don't think 30 watts is enough..but it seems to like it. The pitchers are pretty red and are very pretty... I hope this helps....

Oh yea..I have an ultrasonic fogger that comes on hourly to mist it along with a mini-fan that circulates the air...It seems to like the fog and seeps up the water quickly. I don't really water it, because of all the constant fog..so basically all I do is change out the water each month :p

Hmmmm....My bical grows nicely, but not nearly that fast. It's still really small (I got it at like 2 1/2 or 3") about two months ago. It's grown two leaves, and pitchered once....doesn't that sound a little slow? It's about 8-10" below 5 4' tubes...perhaps I should reduce the distance a tad?

Cerius, your plant seems to be doing well. My conditions will be similar to that. Hehe, I remember you got yours with no pitchers.
laugh.gif

I think you got the same plant as me. (Cerius) (red flush) from the same company.

Back