What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bicalcarata x ampularia

i purchased one of these this weekend it should be here sometime this week. i like both of the parents so i thought why not. i do realize it wont have the fangs but i have nice lowland conditions and it doesnt seem like many ppl have it. so who has it and what kind of a grower is it? is it slow like the amp or fast like the bical? does it produce the basal pitchers? does it grow huge like an bical or stay fairly small/midsized like the amp? anyone have pictures of theirs? i saw it at one point on the Borneo Exotics website but it wasnt there when i looked the last time.

Rattler

You know, I seen a hybrid of bical that had fangs. Now if they could keep the fangs with a back X but also hold on to the amp tendency of multi basal pitchers, that would be cool. A ton of fanged pitchers just layin around. I don't know about the plant you have but it sounds like a good one, I too like both of those plants, it should look pretty cool.

Joe

lol that was my other though get one growing, get a nice lookin bical and may be someday i can do a back cross with the bical, if it is a rececive trate maybe it is simple recesive and you can get the fangs with a back cross. long shot but who knows. the logic is sound with breeding snakes if only it were so with plants.

Rattler

I just got to thinking............It would be especially cool if the amp was a tayeve form then you'd have monster pitchers carpeting with fangs, course this is just a dream. I think it could be done though. Perhaps (ampullaria tayeve X bicalcarata) X bicalcarata or something like that.

Joe

so nobody has one of these? i guess that means i better post pics when i get it. its only going to be around 4 inches across so it wont be to impressive yet!

Rattler

Supposedly Malesiana was working on a ginat red bical, but the seed turmned out to be hybrid with gracilis(I got one because this version of N. x cantleyi sounded nice). But since we are on a fantasy thread here, how about giant red bical crossed with either witht he Tayeve form of amp, or the one knowsn as giant red amp???

Joe

Or how about crossed with hamata:;):

I wonder if it would even be possible to get the fangs and teeth in a hybrid.

My next plant shall be the tayeve ampullaria.....or insignis tayeve.

Joe

well it showed up today. bigger than the discription, about 8 inches in diameter, 3/4 inch pitchers. no fangs. i tried digital pics put our camera sucks so ill take some pictures with my GOOD 35mm camera with a macro setting. get the negs developed and scan the prints. takes longer but its my best option. they should be up tomorrow or this weekend. nothing spectacular yet but who knows what it will look like when its bigger. im really interested in how fast its going to grow and if it will produce nice basal pitchers.

Rattler

Back