What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bical indoors?

Hey all, Im planning on building a lowland growth chamber. Ive always wanted to grow a Bical. but was wondering if it would outgrow my chamber. The dimensions right now would be around 4'high x 4'wide x 8' long, or 5x4x8. Is this big enough?
Thanks a lot
David

Hi David,

That's good planning because N. bicalcarata will be very big, mine was 6 feet in diameter when I repotted it and killed it (gulp) last summer. It took only about 12-18 months for it to go from a 12-14" diameter plant when I got it so you will need an enclosure the size you're talking about relatively soon.

The main problem is, if you're like me you'll fill that space with other species as well while you're waiting for the bical to grow up. Necessitating an even bigger chamber...!
smile.gif

I'd like to hear your plans for construction and lighting of your chambers. I grow in large chambers too cos I live in a condo (1 big Nep chamber in each room for different climates).

josh,
Thanks for your input currently i have a wee litte 10 gallon with an ampularia and albomarginata which are doing quite well, also a ceph which looks good as well. What i plan on doing is buying treated wood, and construct the box but without a top and a side, the wood will be painted with some type ofwhite finish. The top will be a piece of glass...I think and the side will also be a piece of glass. Id like the sid eto be a sliding glass door, so two parts of the side. I plan on using regular shop lights, as many as it will take. Hows that sound?

your planes sounds like a capital idea!

But instead of glass may I suggest a acrylic like material? something like dura-plex would do nicely.

oh sorry I just relised that you are going to be making the top out of a clear material too. In that case an acrylic like material would warp under lights....

You may find the shoplights insufficient in intensity if they are a fair distance from the plants. Simply adding more doesn't fully make up for this shortcoming. The only way is to use a high intensity lighting such as compact fluorescent, highoutput fluorescent, metal halide, sodium etc..

Hey all,
I really enjoy all the comments you have given and thank you all. This compact fluoro idea sounds good, Im not looking to spend a TON on power by using a HID bulb. Tony what kind of wattage would you recomend? Thanks once again all

There is a nice compact fluorescent bulb that Fluorex and Reagent use in their outdoor area lights available at Homedepot and Lowes. It is 65w and 6500k. Personally I would shoot for these instead of the standard soft white compact fluorescent which have a much poorer kelvin rating. 3 or 4 of these over an 8' long grow chamber should light it up very nicely.
Here is a link so you can see what I am talking about. fluorex security flood light - compact fluorescent

Tony

I thought my bical would be giant, going from 4 to 12 inches in 3 months. Its about 5 inches currently.
smile_h_32.gif
smile_h_32.gif
smile_h_32.gif
smile_h_32.gif
 I got it 4 in. in October.

yours might grow fast like swords's or it might grow like mine.

The lights Tony suggested are great! (they are also sold on Ebay relabeled as "500 watt Hydroponic Fluorex Lighting" and sell for $100+) I've been using them for a long time but aparently only my Wal Mart carried them in the portable shoplight form with power cord and switch preinstalled some years back so I lucked out. But if you can twist some wires together to add a power cord to the unit these are the best cheapest get-them-at-the-store lighting option for a tall terrarium.

However, marinedepot.com also sells great deals on metal halides you can get a 400W metal halide remote ballast system for $125 (bulb extra depending upon kelvin color you want usually 5000-6500K ). The total for a Do It Yourself MH setup will basically end up being  the same price as a bunch of the power compact units. However, you will have slightly more work ahead of you setting up the Metal Halide wiring.

I've been using a sheet of 1/4" acrylic plexiglass on both my highland and lowland/intermediate chambers for the top and had no problems with warping or discoloration under power compacts or metal halide.

I must emphasize the Reagent light, it is awesome for the price ($50 for fixture and $7 for the bulb(1st bulb comes with) This light has very low heat output and the ratings Tony mentioned, also I have heard many bad things about Flourex quality. I use this light on Plexi-glass (acrylic) and warping is not a problem, however it has only been 4mo's or so.

Joe

I have a question for those using Fluorex. There is nowhere to attach a ground, something that disturbs me rather deeply considering the damp conditions this light is surrounded by. How have you grounded your lamps? Along those same lines, does anyone know of a power-strip style ground fault interrupt? I looked at HD on Monday, but all they have are modules for a circuit breaker box.

I'll add one more cool thing about the Fluorex: If you're using PVC pipe to make a chamber, you can splice in a 1/2" threaded T and the Fluorex will screw directly onto it. Pretty slick.

Back