What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Better way to send pollen?

I have recently recieved Nep pollen in the mail from several sources. The tinfoil pouch idea is good, but it is always very difficult to get the pollen because it gets squished to the foil.
The only way I've been able to get most of it is by mixing the foil with a little water to get the pollen in the water, then using a dropper to put little drops of pollen water on the end of each flower.

I think a better way to send pollen would be to get a plastic straw (like the ones you can get from a fast food place), cut it to a more convenient size, then fold one end over and tape it to the body. Then you can cut off the flowers (or anthers for whatever else) and put the flowers (or pollen) in and fold and tape the open end to the body. I'de imagine that the straw would be strong enough so that the pollen doesn't get squished up during maililng.Then all you have to do is dip your brush in the straw and comence pollination.

What do you think?

Jonathan

A way suggested to me was to just cut the whole bleeding scape off and treat it like a cutting for shipping. I liked the sound of this idea because if the pollen got knocked off the open bloome there would be more when now blooms opened.

Rattler tried this method when he send me some pollen and it worked pretty well. Unfortunetly the plant I pollinated got frozen solid and so I can not tell you how successful the pollination was.

Soften or melt the ends of the straw just enough that when you crimp them with a pair of plyers they seal shut. If done right you will get an air and water tight seal. Then cut the end off when you are ready to use the pollen.

One problem with sending the anther instead of shaking pollen off is that the anther will ooze sap, and by the time you receive it, your pollen is just a brown sludge that is useless. This has happened to me several times. What can also happen is that the anther moulds.

I think it is best to try to shake off the pollen into a wax paper sachet. You may not get as much pollen, but it's better than getting a heap of pollen that has been rendered unviable.

The only other solution I can think of is to somehow seal the end of the anther so that any oozing sap is absorbed. This would not prevent moulding however.

How can u get the hands of pollen??

Back