What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Betta rubra:)

Well since some people are breeding bettas, I bred them and making a post about it. These aren't the regular bettas you find, these are a different species of Betta that originate in Borneo, where you mostly find intermediate/highland Nepenthes, they live in small puddles of water and are hidden by trees and plants. The don't enjoy heated tanks and usually will be ok all year without a heater at room temp from 65-75F, they are a cool water tropical fish. They like pH of 5.0- 6.0 very soft water and low light. They breed like any other bettas but hold eggs in the male's mouth until about 10-14 days. The male spits out guppy sized fry and usually mates again in about 4-10 days.
Female
P6060016.jpg

MALE Mouthbrooding
P6060015.jpg

Cool fish. I'd never heard of them. Had to do a search... Looks kind of like a killifish.

Do the males have to be housed seperately like the other bettas?

I think bettas are pretty cool. I bought myself a male crowntail for my 30th birthday. He's happy making bubble nests :).

Do the males have to be housed seperately like the other bettas?.

I don't think they do, wild bettas are more calmer than their splendens cousin. Nice batch, BTW!

Thanks and they are peaceful with small fight here and there

Very nice! :)

I used to keep paradise fish for the same reason... they USUALLY don't kill each other, don't need heaters, and are pretty. ;)

I assume judging from your pics that these guys (and gals) prefer a blackwater-type environment?

i wanted to raise a couple of betta albimarginatas since you could keep multiple males in the same tank. i think the rubras are a little too aggressive for my taste.

@ Clue, not really, the were raised in clear water, but I like to mimic nature
@ Amphirion, I also wanted B. albimarginatas :)
I think the male swallowed :(

@polywer: how long did you have them...it's not uncommon for the male to lose a first couple of batches. it takes time and experience to become a pro dad!

This is his first batch maybe my the end of the month he will be holding like a pro. They breed almost every Friday or Saturday for some strange reason.

@polywer: no aggression issues? if it were B. albimarginata, you could have split up the work load by having a 3:1 M to F ratio.

you said they breed almost every Friday/Saturday, but you also said this was his first batch? *scratches head*

Ohh no only minor issues I have 3 males and 3 females a group of 6. They breed every Friday Saturday, but this was the first time he held, usually its no eggs. If I do have eggs maybe we could trade, I really want B. albimarginatas, if you have any

nope. dont have any B. albis. maybe once when i get my tank settled in i'll consider them---they are friggin expensive!

I agree with the expense, awesome fish though. *note youngest male now holding * crosses fingers that he'll hold* If the male hold, I will cancel my tank downgrade, from the now 20 gallon to a 10 because space and it actually has a lid and 20 gallon lid here are like 40 and up! So I will be posting picks maybe in the next 2-3 weeks :)

Back