What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bestial warlust

Nope, I'm not gonna rant about G. Dubya but rather show off my latest sculpt in progress as my way of escaping the gloom and doom on the worldnews.

I've only got about 2 hours in so far and am just "blocking" it in getting the muscles and tendons in place for the expression before I put "skin" on it.

beast1.jpg

beast2.jpg

beast3.jpg

I'm using a lifesize skull of a Chakma Baboon as my armature. Resin cast from a museum specimen you hippies, not a real one! I'm also using Monster Makers "hard" SFX clay for the 1st time. I like Super Sculpey but since this is a large piece and I didn't wanna bake it and loose the skull I'm experimenting with this. So far just on getting ready to sculpt the face I've used 2.5 lbs!

It's going to be a screaming Ork/Goblin warrior ala Warhammer fantasy battles or Dark Crystal/Brian Froud (not lord of the rings style orks). I will likely make it a bust so there will be a neck, shoulders and armor as well.

I'm not really convinced with the nose at the moment, I deliberately placed it farther back on the skull than it should have been-to make the mouth appear longer and more vicious/primitive but I'm not sure...

wow that is awesome!!! I can't wait to see the final product.

I made a few clay frogs for my garden the other day but wow, yours is way cooler than anything I have the patients to do
smile_m_32.gif

Swords wrote:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Nope, I'm not gonna rant about G. Dubya

You may not have wanted to rant about him but, looking at your sculpture, I can see that he still weighs heavily on your mind
smile_n_32.gif

Cheers, Troy.

lol Troy.
biggrin.gif

That's awsome Swords! You'll have to update the progress on it as you go so we can see it evolve.

Good job!

Very good! Great even. I would leave the nose as is. It is a very good crossing, creating the look vicious creature with some intelligence of the humaniod.

Thanks folks! I will post a new pic sometime tonight. I've already scraped off that top lip (which made me feel better about the nose) and tightened the jaw muscles and got the gums in place.

I like this FX clay! It air "hardens" feeling like like Casteline (toy sculpting wax) but it softens from the heat of your fingers and becomes workable again.

Where do you order yours from?

Very impressive. The best i have ever got from working with clay is a rather pathetic lepord spotted strawberry pot.

Back