What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best way to pot ur plant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using a substrate terrarium to pot my plants, but this leads to many faults. First of all, the space runs out, and for me its hard to feed my plants, since the bug has to actually go in the terrarium. And the water builds up in the bottom of my layer, the layers are rock/gravel/activated charcoal/ lf sphganum/ and my potting mix. Then I planted my plants, right now, some plants are outgrowing the terrarium but that not most of the problem. The bacteria gathers at the bottom, and is hard to get rid of the extra water unless I drill a hole at the bottom. I was wondering if anyone knew how I can set up a terrarium or anything else, that would make my plants still displayable, and happy in their environment.

Hello,
You can put down some perlite or washed gravel...ect. at the bottom of the tank.
Kevin

Even with the bottom layer used for drainage, you will still end up with a small dosage of water every time you water your plants. I think the safest way to get rid of the water is to drill some holes into the bottom, but I don't want to ruin my tank, and requires for me to build another stand for it. I can use a false bottom method but that will be a continous watering, and having them watered forever will cause a increase in bacteria in the soil but the benefit will be constant humidity =D. But building a false bottom tanks gets expensive. If anyone wants to try building a false bottom tank, I'll help you through it.

Why not put a small submersible fountain pump in the bottom of the terrarium. The kind you find in those small table top fountains in Wal Mart, etc. Cover it with a couple inches of perlite and cover that with sphagnum and/or peat. You can use it to pump the excess water out of the terrarium so it doesn't stagnate.
My other hair brain idea is to create a whole in the medium to expose the bottom of the tank. Place a fogger device in the depresion to turn the excess water into fog. Might make a bit of a racket if placed directly on the glass bottom though.

alien.gif

Having the submersible pump, is the false bottom solution, including the items for the tank it would be around 50 dollars for a 10 gallon tank, plus you have surplus, and with a 10 gallon tank cost 10, total cost is 60 dollars. I'm setting up a false bottom tank for a huge vivarium, I'll post pictures when i'm done and set up procedures.

Maybe some of the experts here can address your problem.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back