What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

best way to germinate Byblis liniflora

hi I was wondering what is the best way to get byblis linflora to germinate i have about 150 seeds roughly and was just trying to find out. i have had them germinate in the past but i have very little luck.
Thanks

About 5 years ago, I had some Byblis seeds. I just put them on wet soil and they germinated within a week.

However, I kept them too wet and not enough light, and they stopped growing and died a few weeks later.

I would set up several pots and do a 10% bleach solution to slough off the purple dye. Then I would spray with water the seeds in the various pots and cover. If they were fresh and viable, you could have germination in about 10 days.

oh no, i just planted some seeds and forgot to spray them off after soaking in bleach soln. Guess I'll have to see if any of my 5 seeds germinate now, lol.

I got some liniflora seeds a while back and they germinated well when kept warm 24/7 and covered. I did not use any bleach solution.

oh no, i just planted some seeds and forgot to spray them off after soaking in bleach soln. Guess I'll have to see if any of my 5 seeds germinate now, lol.

You should have seen the spate of topics we had a couple years ago about germinating them. I've tried all combinations of bleach or no bleach, cold storage or no cold storage, and I'm not really sure if correlation is causality. My very first batch of seeds, 4 years ago, I did nothing special to (I didn't know to) and 10 days later, every one of them germinated. And then I killed them! I'm guessing that freshness . viability of the seeds supercedes anything we actually do.

Seems as though there are many factors interacting in the viability and germination of this species. I have a cache of seed that I produced from my own plants before 1988. A few years ago was the last time I checked viability of this seed. Within two weeks I had better than 90% germination. I grew several of these plants until they produced seed of their own - I couldn't see any difference between these plants and their parent plants from decades before.

I do store these seed in hermetically sealed plastic vials with gel-caps of dessicant. My belief is that this treatment has helped maintained this seed's viability. Seed kept in less than optimum conditions usually loses viability over time.

Back