What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best of both worlds?

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I've tried leaf sprouting and seed germination by using moist media / baggies, as well as au nateurelle in pots, exposed to the air. I think the baggie approach works a little better, but transferring to a pot has sometimes resulted in shock or death. So I thought it might be a decent approach to try sprouting in the permanent pot, but with the baggie enclosing it, by and east window or indirect light. Anyone else do it this way?

The transfer from the superhumid atmosphere of the bags to the direr buoyant air of the pots i think is the main culprit of losses with the sealed bagging technique. The seedlings/cuttings are accustomed to a superhumid still environment and that is what I think kills most of them if they suddenly loose it. If that is your case, whether the bag is around the pot/germination bag is moot, the same shock will happen when you remove the bag.
What I do is I open the bag for 5-10 days prior to removing them, so they can get adjusted to a drier, more buoyant atmosphere. After that I remove it completely and let them get adjusted to being in open air in their geminating pots. After they are accustomed to that is when I move them to their permanent pots. A gradual transition is important I feel for very moisture-loving plants, like young ferns and other such plants. My first time gowing fern spores i opened the bag after the fronds had grown and potted them up in the window. I had 100% mortality of that batch. Granted, Ferns are different from cp's but now I treat all of the young mosture-loving plant seedlings this way and I have good sucess.

I never have much problems moving cuttings of drought-tolerant plants cold-turkey.

Er, thats my method.

Last edited:
I agree with opening it, transitioning them, to their permamnent environment. My frustration with transferring seedlings and leaf cuttings from a baggie is that sometimes the media falls apart and the roots get exposed, putting the plants in shock.

Back