What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best growing medium

G

What do you guys think is the best growing medium for P. esseriana and ehlersiae?

I use a media of 1:1:1:1 perlite:vermiculite:charcoal:milled sphag and water by tray.

I use a mix of peat and sand with a pinch of vermiculite.
Roughly 1:2 on the peat:sand ...
T

P.esseriana and ehlersiae are very tolerant of soil conditions. Go for a mix with very good drainage. I use a mix of 2-3 parts peat, 1 part sand, 1 part perlite and 1 part vermiculite.

I am particular; I grow all my Pinguicula in 100% Canadian Sphagnum peat moss. I leach the peat thoroughly using deionized water, I alternately soak and squeeze the water from the peat until the squeezed out water is 10ppm or below, then I use it straight as a media for my Pinguicula, temperate as well as tropical.
smile.gif

My Pinguicula are in 100% sphagnum moss with a 2" layer of perlite on the bottom. I am growing them in a 10 gallon fishtank terrarium with vfts, sarracenia purpurea and rubra.
smile.gif

Nick

Back