What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi, I'm new around here, so I'm kind of nervous posting, but here we go.

I had recently gotten into gardening and so far have had great success with my plants (non-carnivorous tihngs like roses, moonflowers, tomoatos, peppers, pumpkins and so on.) And a friend of mine brought me a VFT kit that he bought on vacation. it included a clear tube with lid and bottom (both lid and base had 2 small holes each.) a small saucer to hold water and some peat and about five seed. I've set it up according to instructions and it said it wuold take 8 weeks to sprout (current;y in week 4).

While waiting I've been reading what I can find on the plants and growing tips, but as I've not been in plant care long I'm not as familiar with some of the terms. So I'm not sure on some of the things suggested. However it has sparked a new obsession, and I would love to start a garden of carnivorous plants of my own, though I will so how well I can do with my fly trap first.

Okay, I'm rambling so let me get to the point. I live in North Carolina and where I stay on the weekends (where my fly trap is) is about 4 hours west of where they grow wildly and 20 minutes north of the South Carolina border. Summer temps average around 85-90 with a high of 95 (once in a while 100) and in winters a low around 20 degrees somtimes down to 10. We stay pretty humid (65% today but we have had an incredible amount of rainfall this year, especially since last year we were in a drought because it had been drier than normal for quite a while) So here is my questions:

Would I better off leaving my VFT in a terrarium, or would it survive well in those conditions outside? (Ya'll must hear that alot.) Since it is it's tube in the window right now how big should I let it get before moving it outside?

Also I have had a horrendous time with (what I call) scarabs (everyone else I know calls em June bugs or Japanese Beetles) on my roses. Will these cause problems on my fly trap?

I think that is it for now. If you konw anything that would help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

>Added< Oh! One more! About the distilled water and rain water. Like I said we have been getting quite a good deal of rain lately, but in case I would need to add water anyway I was wondering if well water works. I'm hooked up to a huge underground lake.

Rather than blathering on and on about the care of CPs, I suggest that you read the FAQs at
http://www.sarracenia.com/faq.html
They will get you started.

Your VFTs would just love it outside where you live. The Whether your well water is OK depends on what is in it (concentration of dissolved minerals). I use well water, but my water has a very low mineral content.

Also, don't worry about June bugs -- this is July. (joke)
tounge.gif

Since you are just starting out with CPs, you will probably end up being disappointed with a VFT "kit"..
starting from seed isnt the best way for a beginner to start out..just because seedlings stay REALLY tiny for several years! (your VFT seedlings will be about 1/2 inch tall for the whole first year&#33
wink.gif
and they are more difficult to keep alive..
you would probably be better off looking for some adult plants, much easier to grow than seedlings! they are quite easy to find..(can order them right here&#33
wink.gif

not saying you SHOULDNT grow from seed! just that its more of a pain then an adult plant..
and your conditions are PERFECT outdoors!! IMO you should always keep your VFTs and Sarracenia (American pitcher plants) outdoors year-round! you are blessed with the PERFECT environment! (many of us are envious&#33
wink.gif

oh, and I defientey would NOT use well water...probably 90% odds that your well water is far too hard for CPs..
you could have it tested to be sure...but to be safe, you should only use distilled or rain water..

Scot

Thank you for your quick replies, they have been very helpful.

I do agree I probaby shouldn't have started with seed, but they were free so I can't complain too much...
biggrin.gif
I've browsing the shop and I like that CP variety pack.

And thank you for the link. I'll check it out.
smile.gif

Back