What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Been doin some research..

But not much luck.. I've been looking for smaller neps..preferably smaller then 6" which i know is gonna be a hard (if not impossible). Hybrid or species works either way. Or a slow growing nep that is easy to care for. ??? Thanks guys!

N. campanulata is one of the smallest ones, but is harde to find then usual, ventricosa can be small... N. aristolochioides stays small but is hard to grow. I can't think of any others, I'm not a nep person.

N. bellii stays small. N. ampullaria can be kept small, but requires some attention to pruning and repotting I believe. Are you looking for a terrarium subject or something?
~Joe

Gracilis stays small if you trim it. But there is really no plant that stays smaller than six inches.

Sounds like a job for a Cephalotus ... :woot:

N. argentii, but it's hard to find.

Lowii is a really slow grower, unfortunately it may be picky.

Small Nepenthes? I've been doing similar research myself :) In my opinion, there are 2 kinds of "small":
1) plants that don't vine much and stay compact
2) plants that do vine (have long internodes in the vining stage), but because their leaves are relatively small, they still occupy little volume and could in theory be allowed to snake around a terrarium without overwhelming it. Contrast that to a mature Miranda which, no matter short you prune it, will always occupy a lot of space because of the leaf & pitcher size in the rosette stage.

So far these are the taxa that I've found that, judging from the pictures I've seen online, could potentially do well in a smaller grow area:

Species:
campanulata: compact, doesn't vine, and still has small diameter
argentii: does vine eventually, but it's a small plant
adnata: vines, but it has small dimensions overall
talangensis
aristolochioides
vieillardi: the clone out now does not seem to get very big

Hybrids:
thorelii x alata Kondo: A dwarf. I grow it, and I expect it to take several years before it needs a pruning.
talangensis x veitchii
muluensis x lowii: slow grower, and takes a while to get any size
talangensis x tobaica (and the reverse, called Pisacho): vines, but doesn't seem to occupy a lot of volume
ventricosa x talangensis
ventricosa x (dubia x singalana)
tobaica x thorelii (and the reverse): gets viney
Mae West: hard to find......
Kristin Ammar

Those are the smallest ones I have found so far. You might think that thorelii x aristolochiodes would be small, but most seem to say that it is a vigorous viner, so I'm not sure. Aristolochioides does seem to have a "shrinking" effect, however, on most of its hybrids.

I haven't grown most of these plants (yet) -- these are just my observations after doing extensive searches for images on various forums and photo sites. Hopefully that helps you in your quest :)

Seedjar yes prefer a terrarium specimen
mikulas yes that helps a lot!
I suppose what i'm looking for is something that doesnt vine much or something compact.

I'd say go with the ampullaria. They are cute, too. I have a green and a spotted. I've had both for over 6 months now and though they replace their pitchers, there is little to be seen in terms of growth. Great plant and loves to be kept rather wet, more so than other neps. They are not forgiving, however, when it comes to lack of water.

Sounds like a job for argentii, or a cephalotus. But if you find argentii, let me know, because I'm going to buy one as soon as possible!

Most neps are big... Small ones are either rare and expensive or hard to grow.

I would recommend for terraria, from my list:
muluensis x lowii (highland, maybe intermediate; slow-growing)
thorelii x alata Kondo (lowland / warm-intermediate; grows fairly fast in warm conditions)

Both of these can be bought for less than $20 each, and neither is particularly hard to grow. Others on the list are not that hard (talangensis x veitchii, campanulata) but cost more than $20...

I used to grown an ampullaria. It had 10" leaves and 3 feet of upright, inflexible vine. In terms of long-term growth, this is not a very small plant....

N gymnamphora!! stays quite small--the smallest of any I've seen. Hortus Botanicas has carried them.

Small... terrarium... sounds like a job for a N. ampullaria. As someone mentioned it will take some pruning, especially when it starts putting out basals, but then you would have several small Nepenthes. That would be my recommendation. Especially since they are so easy to grow, and so variable in color.

xvart.

Back