What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Been a while since I posted any pics

BigCarnivourKid

It's been one of dem days
It's been a few months since I put up any pics of my plants so I took some pics of my more presentable plants (the others haven't quite finished waking up and getting dressed for spring)
laugh.gif

U. livida that I got last July
2004_0313_U_livida.jpg

A couple of pics of my D. scorpioides with a large (for them) fly
tounge.gif

2004_0312_D_scorpioides_w_fly.jpg

2004_0312_D_scorpioides_w_fly_2.jpg

This particular scorpioides had 2 surprises for me.  Notice the odd shape (of the crown) and what is in its center.
2004_0313_D_scorpioides.jpg

D. intermedia 'Cuba'.  I left the moss because I liked the contrast of the red leaves against the green moss.
2004_0303_D_Cuba_1.jpg

2004_0303_D_Cuba_2.jpg

And a pic of a young D. adelae that I took last October.  It has since been joined by about a dozen other young plants.
2002_1018_Young_D_adelae.jpg

smile.gif

BCK
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Edited 3-13-04 @ 5:41pm</span>

oooooooooooo. Great pictures!!!!
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BjørnNorman @ Mar. 13 2004,15:44)]that funny thing on you sundew is gemmae
biggrin.gif
LOL, yea I know
laugh.gif
!  But these plants already produced gemmae back in November and December!  Also, the top of the plant looks like it's becoming crestate.  A couple of the other scorpioides also have suspicious
rock.gif
looking crowns, but they haven't opened up to let me see if they have more gemmae or are just
leaves
tounge.gif

smile.gif

BCK

Why would they produce gemmae so soon after having produced gemmae a few months ago?

Wow, whats your growing conditions with the D. Scorpidos? The one's I have are leafless and are on the verge of dying...

In the intermedia pic is that "bad" moss?

Nice pics! Your plants appear very "clean" Lol.:)

Jim - Not sure why they are producing more gemmae.  I don't think it's a stress response but that's the only thing I can think of at the moment that might cause them to do this.

Peter - I grow them in 6" and 8" pots.  50:50 peat:perlite.  I gently top water and allow the pot to drain freely and discard the excess.  The depth of the pot helps retain enough water that I only need to water every other day until the temps start getting warmer.  I put them outside during the summer on my back porch rail (east side of my house) where they get direct sun from about 7:30am to 1:30pm during the summer.  Right now I put them out on my sidewalk in the front yard (west side) from shortly after noon to whenever I remember to bring them in so they don't get frosted at night.  Once my night temps start staying in the 40s and higher, I'll leave them outside all night.

Dyflam - Yeah it's the carpet moss stuff.  So far it hasn't bothered the intermedia, but I keep my eye on it just in case it starts crowding them out.  Though with D. intermedia it could work the other way 'round
laugh.gif
!  I started with two plants spaced apart from each other and they have started to spread slowly in spite of the "bad" moss.

pond boy - They are clean now, but I will start putting them outside with the scorpioides this week and they'll start catching bugs again.  They are "sloppy" eaters.  They'll get bug crumbs all over themselves before the end of the month.
laugh.gif

smile.gif

BCK

Hey Steve, do you have a close up of the Utric flowers?  Those look almost all white, nothing at all like mine. What conditions are you keeping it in? Natural or artificial light?  Does sunlight make a difference in colors for those flowers like it does on U. sandersonii?  Man I wish I could get a good close up of my livida flower to compare with. Also, HOW the heck do you guys get so many flowers on 1 stalk??  Im so jealous..  the 3 Utrics I have had flower for me had 1 bloom then nothing.

Steve

Edit: Ok I did get a fairly nice side view shot of my livida flower... Enjoy
smile.gif

lividaflower004.jpg

Steve

Nice pics BCK. I liked the gemmae photo. Very cool.
smile.gif
My scorpioides are looking good by the way. Thank you!

Suzanne

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vft guy in SJ @ Mar. 15 2004,14:53)]Hey Steve, do you have a close up of the Utric flowers?  Those look almost all white, nothing at all like mine. What conditions are you keeping it in? Natural or artificial light?  Does sunlight make a difference in colors for those flowers like it does on U. sandersonii?  Man I wish I could get a good close up of my livida flower to compare with. Also, HOW the heck do you guys get so many flowers on 1 stalk??  Im so jealous..  the 3 Utrics I have had flower for me had 1 bloom then nothing.

Steve
Steve, that's a nice shot of your livida.  Mine don't get anywhere close to that dark a purple/lavender color.  Wish they did.  The color on mine is so pale that bright light fades it to white, so I gave up on trying to get a close up of them.  I grow them in a 3" pot, 50:50 peat:perlite, which is setting in a 1" deep water tray.  Other than the pale color they seem to like it as they have started growing out the holes in the bottom of the pot.  Maybe I should try growing them as aquatics
laugh.gif
!  I got them from kyaker78 last July after having failed at growing U. gibba  
wow.gif
!

Here's one more pic that I took last night.  I was watering my plants and noticed that the new leaf on one of my N. ventricosas was very deformed.  I found the culprit almost immediatly!
cool.gif

2004_0315_Nep_flowers.jpg

It's my first Nepenthes flower!

smile.gif

BCK

Back