What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beekeeper question

Right now I am in the process of digging my bog in Oklahoma.I plan on adding Sarrs, drosera, vft, and pings in addition to other bog plants. It just occurred to me (opps) that my bees may like the sarrs a little too much. What do you think? Are there other beekeepers-outside CP growers around that could respond. Thanks, Paul

They might eat the bees. I've heard stories of that. If a venus flytrap can catch a housefly (it has for me) then it may be able to catch a bee. Some of the stronger dews, like regia and dichotoma may be able to catch them too. Dunno if regia can survive outside though.

Funny thing actually, to my knowledge, my Sarras have never caught a fly, though, as I accidentally discovered about a mlonth ago, about ALL the leaves that could hold something had a yellow jacket in 'em. Lol, I thought it was a little weird, I'm not sure how other bees will react but yellow jackets seem to like the stuff inside of Sarras more than flies do.

BTW, Est, yellow jackets and other wasps are NOT bees.

Sure, CP can and do catch honeybees. So what. Unless you have millions of Sarracenia within foraging distance to your hives they are not likely to have very much of an impact. In my area toads and lizards eat many thousands of bees each season. The bees still bring in quite a bit of honey.

Back