What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

be a precipitation monitor

Seeing someone else's post about storm chasing me reminded me to tell everyone about CoCoRaHS, a national network of volunteers who monitor precipitation at their homes. I think a number of people here might be interested in participating. Here's an example of what they saw one day:

GetMap.aspx

As you can see, they are generating some fine-grained data and it is being used for monitoring droughts and predicting floods. If you're seeing the same day as I am, you'll see the network caught some intense precipitation in KS & NE that might have been missed by the official, but more scattered weather stations.

If you're interested in participating, your cost is ~$30 to for a rain gauge and your time to measure the level of precipitation every morning. You can learn more at http://www.cocorahs.org/. I can't do it because of the too-tight spacing of trees and houses around my little yard. If you have the space and the interest, it would be a cool thing to do, especially if you live in one of the network's empty spaces.

The more data, the better right? :)
I worked with select weather station data to produce entire thematic data layers via spatial interpolation analysis in a GIS. Nothing professional or official, though. Data like this can definitely come in handy and have lots of potential.

Back