What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bbshrimps

How to make your own funnel type brine hatchery incubator-

Materials needed:
Air pump.
2 Plastic clear 2 liter soda bottles.
2-3 feet of air line tubing.
One way air valve.
Tube of Aquarium silicoin.
Aquarium Salt, Brine eggs, and water.

Tools needed:
Drill. (Optional but reccomended)
Scissor or Hobby Knife.

Steps:
1. Attach one way air valve to one end of air line tubing.
2. Drill hole in one of the soda cap tops so that air line tubing fits in snugly.
3. Put the other end of the air line tubing 1/2 inch into the cap and silicoin the outside to prevent and leaks or the tube from moving. (1/2 into the cap will prevent the unhatched eggs from siphoning into the tube cause they will be sunken on the bottom when extracting the brine)
4. Cut the bottom off of the soda bottle and poke some holes in it and flip it inside out and place it on top of the cut soda bottle to use as a top to prevent splashing from the bubbling.
5. Attach the tube/cap to the newly cut soda bottle and you have your hatchery.
6. To stand the unit up, just take the other soda bottle, cut off the top poke a hole in the bottom to route the air tubing. Place the hatchery upside down into the cut soda bottle and it should fit snugly. You will have to play around with how much to cut to sit the bottle in nicely.

Another option is to just buy the stand like me and screw in the bottle.
smile.gif

That was a really cool read.  Suspended lifeforms.  Kinda neat.
Note:
The brine cysts I have are from last summer, so they are a year old.

On a side note, I just built a new 29 gallon terrarium to replace my 10 gallon one.
smile.gif

Yeah. I'm not sure how quickly I'll buy the freezer statement though.

Btw I did a little experiment involving raising BS to larger size...useless...almost...interesting...definetly. I just poured the leftover hatchwater into a salad box and added some greenwater, yeast, or the liquid that drains from frozen bloodworms. Seems to be doing well and the BS are growing large quickly. If anything it saves the ones that would have either went downthe drain of gotten trapped in a bunch of cysts had I tried harvesting them.

Back