What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Basal vs main plant growth

• Thread starter anramitaco
  • Start date
It's been a long time since I've posted here, but I'm scratching my head over this one with no idea what's going on.

I have a nice N. chaniana x veitchii that produced a basal shoot several months ago. Until then, the plant was growing vigorously and getting quite large (I'd say 12" across, give or take). While the basal grew quickly, the main stem seemed to stall and it is now putting out smaller leaves. There is no evidence of pests or disease and the growth is otherwise healthy. Is this sort of thing normal?

Thanks!

could be possible that it is easier for the plant to distribute resources closer to the ground since it does not have to fight gravity when transporting nutrients. my guess is, if you keep the plant well fed, the main vine should pick up again. however, veitchii is not really known for vining but behaves more as a scrambler which is why it is possibly having a stalling vine.

It's common for a plant to abort a long vine in favor of a well-established basal; my N. 'Gentle' does it all the time, and it frustrates me with my lack of flowers and (until recently) upper pitchers. Once smaller leaves start forming, I usually cut that vine and make cuttings, and try to focus on the basal.

Thanks! I'll cut the main vine, then, and focus on that basal.

Back