What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Basal shoots

Do all nepenthes produce basal plants. The reason I ask is because I have a N. thorellii hybrid that is growing to high for my shelf. The plant is about 24" high. I want to take cuttings from it but don't want to kill the plant. Should I wait to see if it make a basal plant or should I risk killing it and make cuttings?
Thanks and have a great day!
-Nick Z.

Since it's pretty tall already, you could take cuttings from it and I think that trimming it also produces basal shoots.

it might already have basal shoots, maybe they just havn't reached the surface yet.

chop away! no worries.

I'm going to dissent and say worry just a little bit. If you can wait for basal shoots a bit longer, give it a shot. My thorelli x aristolochioides got about 48inches high before a basal shoot formed. Then I chopped it down for cuttings.

Capslock

If you want to induce basal growth (though not fool-proof), just trim the growing point down two sets of nodes. I usually get new growths definitely from the tip, in the form of two or more leads, and basal flushing of three or more shoots. If your intention is to trim it anyway, tipping it would just divert the nutrients and auxins in the plant to seek alternative growing points, or make new one.

Michael

I am by no means a nepenthis expert, but I just got out of Biology and we went over plant growth. Plants produce a hormone at the growth point that is a growth inhibitor for other nodes. The name escapes me now, but when you remove the growth point you remove the hormone and it causes the dorment eyes to awaken. So If it were me and the plant was of good size I would not hesitate to take a cutting or remove the growth point. Just to give you an example I have an orchid that is of sympodial growth type. It was producing one new growth at a time. Well, I got careless and did something to make the new growth rot off. Well its esentialy like removing the hormone and it awoke two dorment eyes. After those matured and flowered. Now it has 4 new growth points. Its a shame this is a NoID plant because its going to be specamin size quyick if it keeps up its growth habits now. Go ahead and cut it provided its of good size. Just remember I'm not a nepenthis expert and just know about general plants.

From what I've heard, if you tip the growing point beneath the soil level, chemicals in the growth point wont reach the base of the plant, so it'll make a basal shoot. I've also heard thattheese chemicals are produced in the newest leaves of the growth point so... theoreticly, if you cut off the leafy part of the growing point, and maybe one leaf below it whithout actualy cutting the stem, then I think that will induce basal shoots, and new growth should continue out the tip, if you didnt cut the stem. That's what I'm going to try soon. Look here also:

http://www.cpjungle.com/nubasal.htm

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ July 17 2005,4:28)]I am by no means a nepenthis expert, but I just got out of Biology and we went over plant growth.  Plants produce a hormone at the growth point that is a growth inhibitor for other nodes.  The name escapes me now, but when you remove the growth point you remove the hormone and it causes the dorment eyes to awaken.  So If it were me and the plant was of good size I would not hesitate to take a cutting or remove the growth point.  Just to give you an example I have an orchid that is of sympodial growth type.  It was producing one new growth at a time.  Well, I got careless and did something to make the new growth rot off.  Well its esentialy like removing the hormone and it awoke two dorment eyes.  After those matured and flowered.  Now it has 4 new growth points.  Its a shame this is a NoID plant because its going to be specamin size quyick if it keeps up its growth habits now.  Go ahead and cut it provided its of good size.  Just remember I'm not a nepenthis expert and just know about general plants.
Indole Acetic Acid

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lol @ July 17 2005,5:54)]From what I've heard, if you tip the growing point beneath the soil level, chemicals in the growth point wont reach the base of the plant, so it'll make a basal shoot.  I've also heard thattheese chemicals are produced in the newest leaves of the growth point
Hormones are produced in the leaves, that is why you need a leaf on a node when making a cutting. Since the auxin is produced in the leaves, this helps produce the hormone that makes roots, then makes shoots and then makes new growth!

Auxin thats it. See I knew someone would know and I wouldn't have to go dig through my Biology book LOL I would have when I had time. The Indole Acetic Acid what is that and its function in plants?

Back