What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Basal shoots

With it being winter here and short days, I don't get much daylight time during the week in my glasshouse.  However, I have a day off today and happened to find that a few of my Neps are producing basal shoots.

First and largest is one of my N. ventricosa:
NVentricosaBassalShoot.jpg

Second is a very small N. ampullaria.  This plant has taken quite a bit of time to settle in but is now producing healthy leaves, and as I just discovered, a healthy tiny pitcher on the basal shoot (you can jsut see it upside down under the damaged leaf):
NAmpullariaBasalShoot.jpg

And finally you may remember this one from my "Today's Nursery Finds" thread from a while back.  These are a couple of small basal shoots forming on the N. tobaica x ampullaria:
NTobaicaXAmpullariaBasalShoots.jpg

Aaron.

Edit: Can one of the mods please change the title to "Basal Shoots". That other text was an accident and I don't seem to have access to change the title of the thread. Thanks.

hi aaron,

It's great to see some new growth.
smile.gif

Quite vigorous aren't they.

Christian

Christian,

Given the time of year here I'm wrapped to be getting the growth I have right now.  Can't wait until Spring and longer day length
smile_n_32.gif

Still, I thought it a bit odd to be getting basal shoots from the Vent and baby Amp as I 'thought' basal shoots generally formed on vining plants.

Aaron.

Aaawwww... they're so cute!!

Are you gonna keep them with their mommies or will you transplant to separate pots?

At what size could one repot basals? I have some myself
smile.gif

/Quensel

I'll keep them together Quensel as I like the look of plants with multiple growing points.

Aaron.

No, not doing either at this stage thanks NL.  Still have pretty much one of everything and trying to grow my collection.

Aaron.

Back