What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Basal shoot separation

hey my nep started to grow basal shoots and i let it grow out for now, i heard u can chop the main plant off if its too long, who the heck would want to do that?! well i want to sep my basal bcuz it seems to b over crowding to grow, can u remove it?

if u can, show me how or refer me to a detail site, thnx

heres som pix of it

121-2198_IMG.JPG

121-2200_IMG.JPG

thnx
-huy

[b said:
Quote[/b] (AzNsUShi41 @ Oct. 18 2004,9:14)]i heard u can chop the main plant off if its too long, who the heck would want to do that
Oh .. well lots of people do that.

Doesn't appear from your picture that the main plant is 'too long' but trust me.. Many nepenthes don't make basal shoots until the main vine is many feet in length and is mostly brown bare stem with just a tuft of leaves at the top..

You can cut them off and treat them like regular cuttings although they appear to be down in the potting mix still. So you can either leave them to grow longer yet so there some easily accessible stem to cut. Or you can try going down into the mix to find the stem. I personally wouldn't go digging as you risk damaging the main plant, the basal shoot etc.

Tony

I may also add from expierence that Nepenthes will make basal rossettes more readily (and branch out too) if they are an upper vine cutting. N. x rokko in my collection has made nothing but upper pitchers for me and is a mess of vines and sprouts coming from everywhere!

Back