What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Basal growth on n. hamata

Hi
I gather from several threads that the N. hamata has a habit of producing sometimes loads of basal growth as it starts to vine. Is this down to the characteristics of that species or because those particular plants are from TC?

I just noticed yesterday my plant has just started to produce just such a growth.
smile.gif

cheers

bill

I dont know, ill let you know once mine vines (from here looks liek a year and a half)

I got basal growths (from the roots, not the stem) after my N. hamata had a dry spell while I was on vacation. Not only am I impressed by the hardiness of N. hamata, I have a few little ones now, too!

Capslock

Looks like my hamata should be starting to vine very soon. I have not notice any basal shoots yet.

I don't know anyone with a seed-grown hamata, so I can't answer that one. Most Nepenthes will throw out basals once they start vining, and all of them do it as far as I know eventually. Hamata is also notable for the number of nodes at leaf axils that grow into side shoots. Some species only produce them every now and then, hamata seems to be able to produce them from just about every axil.

how long will it generally take for a hamata to form a vine, mine is about 3/4 an inch high

I think you have some time to go. Mine is 5 1/2" tall.

I have notice the size of the nodes on my hamata are bigger then any of the other neps I grow. I have been watching to see if any of them will start to grow. I also wondered about using keiki paste on them.

Back