What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bare root potting

I just received some bare root 'big mouth' varieties today and are suprisingly in good shape for being robbed of light during shipping. I have a good media prepared and was wondering if there are any tips or tricks before I pot these guys. I plan on potting them all together on a 6" pot. Thanks.

Peat and perlite or peat and sand is a good soil mix. Otherwise, sounds good. There's not really that much to know. Good luck. And don't worry you probably won't need it.

OK... they're potted but it's a bit of a sad sight. I can't help worrying about these guys. They looks stressed. A lot of traps closed up while potting and I'm wondering if I should have just potted each plant individually. Right now I have all five in an 8" pot which might be too big but I really want to eventually have that wild 'clump' look. Did I use too big of a pot? I'm worried about repotting once again as I don't want these guys to freak out and croak. I also read a lot about Superthrive and those potting bare roots having good luck with using it. Is this something I should have used? Questionsquestionsquestions...
smile_k_ani_32.gif

smile_k_ani_32.gif

smile_k_ani_32.gif

Someone get me a sedative!

My plants always seem to look their worst right after transplanting. Dirty leave and tripped traps (say that 5 times fast) give them a tattered look which will fade as the new leaves fill in the empty spots.

The superthrive helps, but isn't essential. No biggie if you don't use it.

The 8" pot is fine. By next year you may be wondering why you didn't use a bigger one.
smile_n_32.gif

I keep my plants out of direct sun until they recover from the shipping and replanting they have gone through, then gradually start putting them direct sun.

OK. Good to hear it's best not to worry. If I did decide to go to smaller pots in the next day or so would it be a disaster (since they haven't set root)? I'm having second thoughts on putting them into individual 3" pots for my mini bog as it would be easier to keep them in a tray along with my typicals. This is gradually becoming extremely addictive.
smile_n_32.gif

What do you mean becoming extremely addictive.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (scupbucket @ July 07 2005,10:54)]OK. Good to hear it's best not to worry. If I did decide to go to smaller pots in the next day or so would it be a disaster (since they haven't set root)? I'm having second thoughts on putting them into individual 3" pots for my mini bog as it would be easier to keep them in a tray along with my typicals. This is gradually becoming extremely addictive.
smile_n_32.gif
I'd not mess with them too much. The more you handle them, the more likely they are to die from transplanting shock/root damage. Check your local garden center for plastic saucers to put the pot in. Old butter tubs or cottage cheese containers will work also. Anything that the pot will fit in and still hold water.

Yesterday I got a Big Mouth and a Fang in the mail and so I  potted them up as they were both  shipped bare root.  So I know what its like hoping your VFTs recover quickly then grow well.

My biggest concern is being I hope the pot isn't too deep as I want to keep the media wet at all times. I currently have the pot in a tupperware filled with at least 1" of distilled. So far so good... most of the traps have opened back up but a few just gave up after the shipment. Poor guys.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (scupbucket @ July 09 2005,9:21)]most of the traps have opened back up but a few just gave up after the shipment. Poor guys.
I wouldn't worry about those traps; they might have been the oldest ones on the plant and their number might have been up. If you have new growth, your plant is fine.

Back