What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bad conditions

Ant

Your one and only pest!
My VTF has come out of dormancy and sence it is still to short of a day and is only growing light green traps and skinny leaves.:-( The only good thing I found out today is that my "dead" dente actullay lived through a 9 day drought by growing a new root! Thank god!:hail: I am not sure what to do, any ideas that will improve this? I have 75 watt sun light and a 20 watt floresent down stairs, would that be better????

It's normal for the spring & summer leaves to be long and skinny. Put 'em outside if the chance of frost is gone.

See Barry Rice's FAQ

Do you have a picture? Not ALL long and skinny leaves are healthy... I know first hand.

More info is needed… How are your overnight temperatures? What kind of growing conditions is it currently in? If it woke up because conditions are warming up in your area then it is probably safe to put it outside.

Ok, they seem thinner then my old one that died.

Ok, they seem thinner then my old one that died.
This still doesn't help...

Try answering these questions:
-Is the plant currently growing inside or outside?
-How low are the overnight temperatures wherever it’s growing?
-What kind of light is it getting and for how long?
-When did it wake up?
-When did it enter dormancy?
-Have you increased watering since it woke up?
-Are the traps growing normally or are they small and deformed?

Healthy
http://www.iscweb.com/personal/dunno/Ts/CPs/Dionaea(dente)7.jpg

'Dente' is known for it's thin petioles (what you call the leaf is auctually the petiole and the trap is auctually the leaf)

This is really a very simple problem. If the plant's petioles (leaves) are floppy and limp, it needs more light. If it's hard and erect (haha) it's fine.

As is 'Clayton's Red Sunset' if I'm not mistaken.

Read the last two paragraphs on Barry's FAQ page I referenced earlier re: Skinny Legs and All.

Joossa I believe I posted only a few seconds after you so I didn't read it. My leaves are up straight and strudy, also they are thicker then in the pic. They woke up do to home heating. :grin:

Joossa I believe I posted only a few seconds after you so I didn't read it. My leaves are up straight and strudy, also they are thicker then in the pic. They woke up do to home heating. :grin:
There you go, then. Give them plenty of light and they’ll continue to be happy.

My first two VFT’s were put through torture in a ridiculous terrarium about a year ago, and in a couple months they had long skinny weak leaves, but the new traps significantly reduced in size (at first it was producing ~1in traps, and after a couple months the traps were retarded and only 5mm long). Luckily, I managed to save them, and now they are outside along with my other additions and seem to be getting back on their feet.

Back