What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bacps-great show

Today was the quarterly BACPS meeting at UCBC
It was by far the most confusing mess I've ever seen  
wow.gif

Due to horrendous traffic I didn't make it for the raffle but I do know that many heliamphora where donated to it also Zach Lim (Cephalotus88 ) donated at least a U.Gibba there were more oddities such as aldrovanda etc.
John (Spectabilis73) didn't make it for some odd reason
The vendors including Phil Faulisi and so many others came to the show also the guys from HortusBotanicus in Fort Bragg Cali came and displayed at least a hundred Neps and sold some soil mixes. I even saw vendors who had only been into cps for 3 months and still selling plenty.
I personally picked up a D.Dichotoma "Giant" for $5 from Phil
A N.Bical from HortusB for slightly more...
One man was selling a couple drosera some byblis seeds and a real nice 3" pot of 2 N.Spectabilis with tons of pitchers and tons of that green moss that pops up everywhere he threw in a D.NitidulaXPygmae and a ? drosera (I can't read his handwriting) so I got it too.
I obviously couldn't stop myself so I got a large N.Ventrata just to deplete the rest of my money
confused.gif

Eventually The judges (Peter D' Amato,Geoff Wong,etc.) got finished judging the plants brought in

Best of show went a beautiful Nep in a clear case being as stupid as I am I forgot to write the name down...

1st place for Vfts was a wide bowl filled with well cared for and huge vfts atleast 15 vfts whose traps reached 1 1/2" to 2 1/2"

1st place for Drosera a huge clump of binata so dense I never saw the pot

1st place for CP Art a metal sculpture of a vft with multiple traps mimicking the real thing some were open others were closed it won over 2 other pieces both drawings of sarrs

It was too packed to notice the other winners but the show was a hit and was fun for everyone who participated

spec did'nt come cuz he moved to oklahoma , and i don' think he'll ever be able to go to the meetins because of that . but i sure missed alot because i live in southern california and the best meetins are always up north .

He left sooner than I thought, That sucks.

I'm hoping that the fascination of cps will grow in the future, so that we are lucky enough to have one of these meeting, in every region, so we will all be able to expand our knowledge, with more intruging sites of these facinating species =D.

Edit Double post look at second

Well said!

A lot of people were there who had never kept cp's b4 and were fascinated by them I just hope they know to use distilled water!

This was my first time at the BACPS and traffics was a mess. Unfortunately, I was not able to stay for more than an hour...but the plant sale was amazing! I found some great P. emarginata specimens, as well as D montana v tomentosa, and what is labeled as D admiralibis (although I don't think thats what it is). It is still a fantastic plant. I wish I had had the presence of mind to get the names of the vendors so I could help support the cultivation efforts. If any of you in the Bay Area know the vendors...esp the folks selling Pings and Sundews please let me know! I'm currently working of a whole slew of P esseriana seedlings that hopefully will be ready to donate at the next meeting.

Damon

Anyone take pics? Sounds like a great meeting!

Sorry i couldn't make it to the meeting! I called phil faulisi, and he didn't answer, and i only knew his phone number, no one elses, so i couldn't alert anyone that i wouldn't be able to make it to the meeting, and since phil didn't answer the 20 times i called him i couldn't drop off the raffle tickets, i sure wish i could have made it...
sad.gif

Back