What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Back into an old hobby.

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
Back in the late 80's early 90's I taught myself to fly R/C planes. I had an electric that I had a few flights on. I nosed her in hard 1 day and broke the motor mount. I was not able to get a new mount, so my flying ended.

Well yesterday I went and picked up a cheap RTF R/C plane to see if I want to back into flying. I've had it out twice and had a blast, but still saying in my head....do not crash!....do not crash!....do not crash!....do not crash!....do not crash!....do not crash!....do not crash!....do not crash! straight and level ....do not crash!

2 flights so far.
Now with the internet it's a piece of cake to get parts for planes, hope I will not need any.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=393

Cool Steve.I have never flown a R/C plane before.I bet it is fun.I think the R/C nitro trucks/cars are cool also.

Jerry

I have seen these typs of planes in action before and agree that its totally awsome. a great thing to get into.
now just do not crash!
smile_m_32.gif

Jerry,
Many years ago I raced electric R/C cars for several years. The same thing happened every time at the 3 different places I had raced at....the new year rolled around and no one would show up to race.
I found 2 tracks 35 min to an hour away and both do not race electric anymore, just gas. My old electric had lots of money in it over the years. An original RC-10 that I upgraded the chassis to a graphite, the original drive to the Stealth drive, electronic speed control, new shocks, total ball bearings, etc. I sold it so I could get the R/C plane kit.

Finch,
You would fall a sleep watching me fly, big slow turns. I'll get more daring after I get comfortable with the handling of the plane. If I bust up the plane, I might see if I can buy a few birds off you so I can get it in the air again.
smile_n_32.gif

RC planes are awesome but the cost is up there. I would love a ducted fan RC jet.
I also used to race the RC-10 type buggies. I have the technology to make replacement parts also. I am thinking about getting a gas powered buggy (after I get my Harley
smile_m_32.gif
)

I fly RC planes, and have on and off for about six years now. They are really a great hobby, and I enjoy tinkering with them as much as flying. A few months ago, I made the rookie mistake of putting my hand into a spinnning prop through a series of unlikely events, and ended up really mangling four fingers on my left hand. It turns out there are a lot of nerve endings in the fingertips.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Nevertheless, it's a great hobby, and we are blessed out west here to have a lot of slope soaring sites that make RC gliding about the funnest thing you can imagine.

Capslock

Back