What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Avicularia avicularia

superimposedhope

Somewhat Unstable
I am getting a spiderling. I shall have fun with my new pet. I have avoided exotic pets for a while now but think I am confident enough to jump back in.

I'll write when he or she arrives.

Joe

Aww, you're getting a Pinktoe! They are cute, but jumpy!

aww avics are nearly my favorite genus!!! i have like 5 or 6 tarantulas from this genus, in fact i am nearing a A. avic breeding project that i will be starting when i move at the end of this month. A. avics are absolute sweet hearts!!! soo docile and beautiful...just watch out for that whole squirting poop thing..
smile_m_32.gif
!!!! a great site for info and amazing forums for inverts is...
arachnopets
here is Syrup my adult female A. avic that i will be breeding soon..AWWWWWWWWW
pics!%20032%20copy.jpg

prepare for the spider addiction....
XdouglasX

I had an exotic pet once, but I found out it was illeagal so I had to let Doug go.
smile_h_32.gif

I am also getting 2 Avic. versicolors. Yes the addiction is setting in already.

Joe

@ozzy - yeah I must thank you for my freedom..those chains were killing my wrists and that whole feeding me nothing but fish-heads and rubbing alcohol was kind of pooptie, peupty. However sometimes..late...........late ..very late at night..........i dream of those times we shared...all of the toe-nail clippings and back shavings.....*sniffle* bring a writhing tear to my eye.  U will always remain in my murmur infested heart….

anyhooo, versi's are great i have a couple of them as well.  they are the cutest spiderlings and have such cute personalities too! dont worry about the humidity...just give em a spritz like once a week.  everyone always goes overboard with the humidity...BTW did u perchase them from an online breeder/dealer? if so who is it? (u can PM me that if ya want)
well enjoy!!!
here is a crap-tastic pic of one of my A. versicolor spiderlings...i just never seem to have the right lighting for these little fruities! BAH
pics!%20008.jpg

i recieved a PM regarding "do they bite at all?" while they are very capable of biting the species we have mentioned are very docile/handle-able...here is a link to a video clip of me handling the adult female in the first pic i posted...this was JUST before she got startled and shot poo at my girlfriend LOL
handling.MOV
note: u need quicktime for this movie clip!!
enjoy
xDouglasx

I'm sorry Doug, but I don't think I want to see a video of you handleing a female and shooting poo.
confused.gif

I traded some Neps for them. The guys name is Todd Gearhart. He owns trantulaspiders.com. He posted on CPUK that he wanted to trade spiderlings for Neps. I think he would still make trades for Neps he doesn't have, if anyone else is interested. So far he seems to have a good trading spirit. I have received the spider and he hasn't received anything yet.

Joe

Oh wow Doug! I haven't seen any of your invertibrits pictures before, she is beautiful! I have never seen one like that before! I have to ask, how do you go about breeding them? Are they like some of the other bird eating spiders were the males only live a little while? And also can you tell a spiderlings gender right away or only after a little while? I can't get one or anything right now, but I've always wonderd about these things.

SIH, congrats on getting some cool spiderlings
biggrin.gif

i dont think these are bird eating. Anyway they are beautifull.

Actually Finch they are the legendary "bird eating" spider though birds make up only a small percentage of their diet along with bats and other small vertebrates and the larger perrcent goes to insects such as roaches and whatever as adults.
The Avic versicolor are very beautiful and colorful. He has A. avic and A. versicolors for trade if I am not mistaken.

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Darcie @ July 12 2004,5:07)]Oh wow Doug!  I haven't seen any of your invertibrits pictures before, she is beautiful!  I have never seen one like that before!  I have to ask, how do you go about breeding them?  Are they like some of the other bird eating spiders were the males only live a little while?  And also can you tell a spiderlings gender right away or only after a little while?  I can't get one or anything right now, but I've always wonderd about these things.

SIH, congrats on getting some cool spiderlings
biggrin.gif
hehe yeah i enjoy them!! well this is gonna be my first breeding attempt so we'll have to see!  usually you just put the male in with the female and they do a bit of drumming and a courtship dance and then they converge on each other and hopefully the male gets tha job done without ending up as a meal!  with this species ( A. avic) they have been found to be nearly communal so i plan on just tossing him in there and see what happens. if they seem cool then i'll leave him in there to make sure he gets the job done! darcie, you are correct in that the males only live to their ultimate molt (adulthood) and then their only inpulse is to mate and they eventually die in a few months or so. Determining the sling's sex cannot be done untill they are around 2 inches or so.  this can be done via a shed skin or by examining an area on its underside between the 2 body segments. and superimposedhope is correct in that adult versicolors make A. avics look lame and a half!! lol enough ramblings!!!
XdouglasX

Back