What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
Hello everyone

As some of you already know, we are planning a charity auction to benefit the now-forming National Sarracenia Collection (stop by and vote on the name!).

I wanted to give everyone a heads-up so you can be thinking of what you might like to donate to the auction.  
smile.gif

More details will be forthcoming...we are still hammering out the time period and details.  But in general, people can offer a plant or any other item you think someone would be interested in.  People can bid on the items and the highest bidder wins the plant or item.  The money will go into a fund to support the new (non-profit) sarracenia conservation project.

There will be a time period for people to make their submissions to the auction.  The auction will run probably for a week so  most people will have a chance to browse and bid.

Although this may give you an opportunity to acquire some plants or items you'd like to have, please bear in mind the point of this auction is not to "buy" a plant but to DONATE to a worthy cause and get a little something in return.  You may of course donate more than one item!  Be generous...bid often!

Again, more details will be provided soon.  We'd love to have a LOT of participation and have a lot of fun too.  Plants are always popular but if you don't have a plant to offer, anything that will bring a bid ($$$!) is welcome.  Be creative--artwork, garden tools, special soil mix, gift card to Lowes, CP "starter" kit, ping leaves for propagation, etc.  Think out of the box!

***Please note that any plants offered MUST conform to all CITES and phytosanitary laws if plants transfer between states or countries.***

Thanks everyone and I hope to see ALL of you participating in the auction.  Its a great way to contribute to this cause if you feel you can't in other ways.

GOING...GOING.....GONE!  SOLD TO THE HIGHEST BIDDER!  
biggrin.gif

Suzanne/PAK

Thanks for keeping this moving along - I'm looking forward to it. But much of the burden of complying with regulations has to fall on the bidder, not the donator. I plan to donate some orchids, but the transfer becomes a problem if a bidder is in Canada. Or even California, which is very strict about plants crossing the border. Someone had mentioned he would provide some citrus trees. Those can't be shipped into the citrus producing states. I don't know enough to list all the potential problems, but hopefully someone else can add to the list.

Thank you Bruce. This is true. If you are offering ANY plant that you aren't absolutely SURE about the regulations governing it, please do a little research first. You have plenty of time. That's why I put up this notice. You will be able to offer a description of your plant/item and can include this information. We'd like photos of the items too!

As with almost all auctions, the high bidder will be responsible for paying any shipping and associated fees (Phyto, etc.) UNLESS *previously stated* by the donor that they are paying. Donor and bidder are always free to change the terms after the auction if BOTH agree. However, make sure before you bid, that you DO agree with the terms of the auction and listing.

All these little details on the auction WILL be posted closer to the time it starts so all can be familiar with the deal.

Thanks folks! Start looking for things to auction!

ok PAK its been while now. Where are those details?

Hello, all! Casper, our illustrious leader just got out of the hospital. He is ready to get together with PAK to get the Auction set up so we can continue on with the Conservancy formation. Not much has been happening up front, but all who are invloved are doing their personal jobs behind the scenes. I will try to get some of them to post so all can see what progress has been made. Casper will be back on line today, or tomorrow.

The hospital? I hope it wasn't serious!

SF
sad.gif

Hey folks

No the auction has not been forgotten. Phil has some auction software which he is checking out (waiting on that). The auction isn't a simple matter and there are some important issues to be worked out first, one of which is whether it will open to the general public or held on the forums only on this.

I would like folks to remember that everyone who is working on getting this project going has "life" to deal with too. This isn't a full time job (which would be great!)...but there's also work, business, school, family, yards, responsibilities, kids, etc. that need attending to as well. So, yes, things would be moving more quickly if this were the ONLY thing we all have to work on and put our attention to. But unfortunately it must be worked in between taking out the garbage, paying bills, doing laundry, going to school, homeework, studying, going to work and all the other millions of daily details.

Patience!...its coming. Slowly but surely. I will post an update once I have one.
smile.gif

Thanks for inquiring.

PAK

Just so you know what's up with the auction, our esteemed Bossman Phil Crane has been working on some auction software. Our resident Troublemaker and Computer Brain Patrick (Trashcan) is helping Phil with this. Phil is upgrading the server to accommodate this software and a few other things. If all goes well, the auction software may be in place and ready for action by Friday. I have to see how the software is going to work, then we will get advertisements out. Using the software, anyone can list or bid thus opening the auction to non-forum members (such as Gardenweb members, Listserv, etc.).

So...the auction is coming, so be looking for things you'd like to list.
smile.gif

Back