What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Attention young cpers!

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
Hey everybody, the other day I saw an ad for a promotion going on through McDonalds. It's some contest to redecorate your bedroom with $5000 as the grand prize for three winners. Details are here:
http://www.mcdonalds.com/usa/ronald/extremedream.html
I think that they'll be choosing winners based on your decorating ideas, so I'm sure that CPs would stand out amongst the piles of sports, videogame and cartoon themes. If I were of age, I'd definitely be entering this one (and not telling you guys, hehe.) Since I can't enter, I want to see somebody make good use of it. There's nothing to lose, and even if you don't win the cash, second prize for fifty winners is a snazzy home theatre system.
Good luck!
~Joe

PS - I just checked the rules and found that the drawings for prizes are random, so I guess there isn't really any edge to be had for this. Sorry! Still, it's a chance for $5000, and that's pretty good any way you look at it.

Very cool,but I'm not between 4-12 and I'm not in the US either
smile_h_32.gif
Good luck to whoever enters
smile.gif
~Niki~

Rats, I am 13. Just a little to old.

I'm 11.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ June 23 2005,6:26)]I'm 11.
smile.gif
That would be chronological age! actually we DO have a member who fits this category.

Oh, I didn't realize the cutoff was 12. That's a shame. We've got to have a couple of eligible growers... What about Crunch? Hopefully some of the parents/older sibs/etc. will point this out to their young growers.
~Joe

well...i was 12 at one point...does 15 count..

thanks

Brad

Oh thank you seedjar! I will let my Crunch know about this.

Forget about terrariums, with five grand he could buy a Wardian case, or convert a fridge! How cool would it be to have an ultrahighland tank at 10 years old? Good luck Crunch!!! Knock 'em dead!
~Joe

I am going to hi jack this thread seedjar!  Two heads are better than one but 50 heads are better than me and my son put together soooooooooo...

What is a Wardian case?
Any fancy corner aquariums out there with hoods to retain humidity?
What about those sphere reefs?  How difficult are those to maintain?

Any ideas would be great. Links to actual products would be nice too!

Edited to add-
What is an ultra highland tank set up?

A Wardian case is an archaic name for a fancy, self-sustaining terrarium. I'm referring to the nice, prefab grow chambers such as the ones sold by Dragon Agro Products.
As for lights and racks, I'd say aim for some shoplights and metro racks. For the lights, T5 bulbs would be a good energy efficient choice, since cost is not a major factor. As for the racks, the ones mentioned here in Darcie's grow rack primer work great - they're sturdy and very versatile, and you can add on to them with extra shelf and leg kits.
As for an aquarium type of thing, you could probably just go scope out the big tanks over at the local pet store. I would go for something like these prefab greenhouses; you could build a bottom for them out of wood and plexiglass (you can buy big panels of plexiglass for $20-$40 at hardware stores) and use it as a walk-in terrarium. It would be more accessible than a tall glass tank, and more durable to boot. You might also consider something like rlhirst's shower stall terrarium.
I dunno about sphere reefs, except that many of them are touted as self-enclosed and good for two years or more. That would definitely make a nice addition. I don't know about reptiles either.
As for ultra highland, I'm referring to a terrarium appropriate for culturing Nepenthes and other plants that naturally grow at very high elevations, where temperatures are usually cooler than the average household and high humidity is maintained. Basically, just a very expensive highland setup. :)
Keep us posted! I'm very excited!
~Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ June 24 2005,6:10)]I am going to hi jack this thread seedjar!  Two heads are better than one but 50 heads are better than me and my son put together soooooooooo...
I'd like to see you try! ;D Even though I can't enter, that doesn't mean I don't have tons of ideas, hehe. Keep us in the loop.
Any other takers out there? C'mon guys, don't let Crunch steal all the glory. :)
~Joe

Back