What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Attempting my first germination. Double-check me?

Zath

Enthusiastic Enthusiast
N. albomarginata, N. reinwartdiana

These are the seeds I'm attempting to germinate in my new terrarium setup. The only information I can find on them claims that they are both from Borneo (at least), and that they have a massive elevation range, effectively making them both lowland and highland.

I, of course, didn't know this when I purchased them, because I'm like that.....anyway, this sounds like a really great thing, because what I'm getting out of it is that they can tolerate a huge variance in conditions, both temperature and humidity related. Not in quick succession of course, but it seems like they could adapt to pretty much whatever I've got going on in there.

Am I being naive? Lol
I am willing (and planning, sometime) to get a small undertank heater from zoo-med (or comparable) to warm the water trays of perhaps half or 1/3 the tank, I'm just not sure what kind of priority that is right now. We're approaching summer, and days here are in the high-seventies, and only going to get warmer, while the nights right now are in the mid-fifties / low-sixties.

I'm thinking heating shouldn't be an issue until Fall rolls around, by which time I may have a new or completely modified setup. I'm just wondering if there's anything else I should be doing right -now-.

The seeds are germinating on chopped (finely) lfs labeled as "orchid moss" (don't ask me why I did that, I don't know). They're in small drained plastic pots, sitting atop little hills (you'll see when I upload a pic), so that they're not standing in water. They're currently contained inside of a larger plastic container until my glass-lid for the aquarium comes in. They get top-watered via a mist-bottle every other day or so.

Finally got a timer so that they don't have to rely on my inconsistent sleep-schedule, and it's on a 16-hour photoperiod.

Have I done everything conceivably right, assuming that the seed wasn't too old and is still viable?

(Edit) pics. I'll just put links because they're larger than I thought they were, lol.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2598&d=1401572055

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2597&d=1401572023

Last edited:
What about fungus prevention? Botrytis will have a field day with those seeds if you don't take some measures against it. Also, smooth out the growing media a bit more for better contact with the seeds, it is really important for germination.

Last edited:
What about fungus prevention? Botrytis will have a field day with those seeds if you don't take some measures against it. Also, smooth out the growing media a bit more for better contact with the seeds, it is really important for germination.

The media is as smooth as it's going to get, but if it makes any difference, I've already gotten my eyeballs down there and made sure that all the seeds were nicely stuck to a piece of moss. The fine misting helped with any that didn't get the memo.

I honestly haven't done much reading on fungus issues with CP's, so I'll go do some reading on that now, thanks.

Oh yeah, botrytis can kill seeds overnight if you don't do stuff. I have had it happen, it spreads really fast.

Albomarginata is more of a lowland plant than highland, so warmer side temps would be better for it, especially if and when the seeds actually germinate. Fungus will usually only attack seeds if they're already dead, or if you have rather low light levels and stagnant air. Sarah, if you have such an issue with botrytis, it might be more due to conditions with the seeds you've tried than the dangers of a fast-spreading fungus. Yes, it can become an issue on occasion (I'm fighting it tooth-and-nail with my already-growing Sarracenia seedlings for some reason), but usually it's because of improper conditions, or bad soil.

Bad soil is probably my issue. Low light definitely not. Seeds, well, they were fresh and looked good in my opinion.

Glad that the fungus would only really attack dead seeds first, I don't exactly let it get far. But the freaking fungus is so prolific, ugh.

Both are lowland-intermediate species.
Albomarginata has wide germination time, from 2 months to over 1 year. Even if the seeds are from the same seedpod.
I germinated a few batches. Used to loose many albo seedlings after germination. Now I place albo seed trays in a spot with high RH and occasional flood during raining, they are doing much better.

Both are lowland-intermediate species.
Albomarginata has wide germination time, from 2 months to over 1 year. Even if the seeds are from the same seedpod.
I germinated a few batches. Used to loose many albo seedlings after germination. Now I place albo seed trays in a spot with high RH and occasional flood during raining, they are doing much better.

Sounds like you're growing yours outside. As I said, I do plan on getting a heating pad or something before cool temps roll around. Air circulation could be an issue though. The terrarium is in a rather protected spot (in a closed stairwell), so doesn't get much air circulation.

After I get my top, I'll take a look at the options I have. If it was bigger, I would go start looking for computer fans to rig up, but for this, a clip-on novelty fan might be the better choice. :p

(Edit) I did some snooping, and decided to try my luck at wiring this sucker up with a fan. I've already got plans in the near future for a disused 2x2x2' aquarium that's sitting in the corner, so I can use this lil' 20 gallon to do my experimenting on.

Bought an 80mm adjustable-speed computer fan, and a 12v wall adapter so that hopefully (if I don't electrocute myself) I can just plug the fan into the timer strip and not worry about it. That, combined with cracking the lid, should provide good airflow.

Last edited:
Back