What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

At what temperature do sars go dormant?

I am an Ohio grower and we have long cold winters so our growing season is very short. Therefore our plants are smaller and we don't get to see them as much as the more southern growers so I would like to give my plants a leg up. My plan is to wait for temperatures outside to dip into the temperatures where they go dormant and then leave them there for 2 months or however long dormancy is. Then once the two months is up I want to bring them inside right when Ohio is getting it's coldest weather and force them out of dormancy using grow lights/windows to let them build up their energy and get a little grow in for the springtime while avoiding the long cold dry windy temperatures down into the -teens. So has anyone performed experiments to figure out about what temperatures plants go dormant? Also include if you want any knowledge about length of daylight or any other factors that my keep plants dormant?

Light is more important than temperature, so your plants will go dormant in November because the lack of light tells them it is that time of year.
Let them go dormant naturally and then bring them in when they've been resting for three months, which will be February. Bear in mind that you need a lot of light to grow adult sarracenia and I'd expect you'd just get some weak gangly growth which isn't really much of a benefit.

Back