What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ARGH, crickets!

As most reptile keepers know, having crickets around almost always means having escaped crickets around. Until just a few minutes ago, I was keeping my lowland tank on its side, on the floor in my reptile room. I use sphagnum moss as a substrate to keep up humidity. I haven't been paying much attention to my lowlanders other than keeping them watered.

Well, I took a good look at them today and noticed some big crickets wandering around. And then some munched-on leaves on my albo seedlings. Two of the larger seedlings had been pulled out of their pots. I went to chase down one of the crickets, and it hid near the tillandsia I have near the back. I pull the tillandsia out, and with it a clump of sphagnum it had dug its roots into. Guess what starts falling out of the sphagnum?
Baby crickets. Little pinheads, must be only a week or so old. Fantastic. Now I've got a tank full of pinhead crickets. I think I'm going to have to get rid of all that sphagnum tomorrow.
*facepalm*

or you could put a couple of sundews and/or pings in there and let them feast!

i HATE crickets sooo much. All of the herps ive kept just get worms and pinkies and stuff. If they require crickets i go and get the dried flukers ones. Ugh crickets suck. One of my very first leopard geckos was practically eaten to death by a large cricket. Hate those things.

Sorry about your predicament. Id say bring in the calvary, some dews, some VFTs, maybe som,e large neps and a pair tweezers.

Crickets are the only bugs I occassionally buy for my plants. Cephs, neps and vfts love em. I get like a dozen of the smallest ones I can at the local petstore (they don't sell pinheads). I use forceps to indivudually feed each one to every plant that I want. My cephs have become fat thanks to these pet store delights. I guess the problem comes when u let them run free among your plants.

If its in a terrarium, put a bunch of dry ice in there, and mostly seal the top. The co2 will displace the o2, suffocating yer bugs, but the plants will be fine.

i HATE crickets sooo much. All of the herps ive kept just get worms and pinkies and stuff. If they require crickets i go and get the dried flukers ones. Ugh crickets suck. One of my very first leopard geckos was practically eaten to death by a large cricket. Hate those things.

Sorry about your predicament. Id say bring in the calvary, some dews, some VFTs, maybe som,e large neps and a pair tweezers.

Yeah, no kidding. You ever tried silkworms? Super nutritious, don't run or hide. They just sit there and be delicious. Only takes a few to fill up a gecko. I'm switching over to these and mealworms as my staple.
I think I may bring in a few pings just for fun, but knowing how many eggs a cricket can lay I doubt it'll fix my problem.

If its in a terrarium, put a bunch of dry ice in there, and mostly seal the top. The co2 will displace the o2, suffocating yer bugs, but the plants will be fine.

I may give this a shot. Thanks for the tip!

Back