What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are commercial potting soils OK?

• Thread starter vettgrl
  • Start date
Hello!
New member, here! I have read lots of articles and watched youtubes , but I am very thankful to have some feedback from this group. I have been gardening and cultivating house plants for many years,
but these plants are so unique!

I purchased 2 Dionaea (green plant with red color inside traps) VFT's at a garden center last spring, and they have doubled in size which means they need to be repotted. I purchased some potting soil from Amazon, which consists of Sphagnum moss and perlite. Is this the best there is for these types of plants or should I mix my own? Also, there are long roots hanging out the bottom of their pots; should I trim them or leave them on when transplanting into a bigger pot?

Thank you everyone!

Vettgrl

Welcome!
Long fiber sphagnum moss and perlite works great but can make future repotting difficult as the roots get tangled with the lfs.
If its peat moss sphagnum and perlite that is the most popular mix used. Do not trim off the roots just move the whole thing into the new pot.
If you are somewhere that is coming into winter I would hold off and transplant it once the plant goes dormant or early next year before it wakes from dormancy just so you can enjoy it for what's left of fall.

PS I'm making the assumption the media you bought is intended for carnivorous plants? Generally commercially available mixes will include fertilizers and other stuff that are not good for these plants.

Back