What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aquarium/Terrarium suppliers

I am looking for a list of aquarium/terrarium makers... good ones, decent ones, trivial ones (eh... some of them). Anyone have a model of aquarium that you just LOVE? Have a particular allegiance to a company? Post it here.

I found one company in czechoslovakia called Ankvaria Ante. I like their designs, they do not seem too awful expensive. My favourite would be the "Terrarium for chameleon"
I like this company because you are buying simply the aquarium -no Light, hood, UGF system, air pump, plants and so on that is included with many others.

They have a diverse catalog with pictures & such.
http://www.akvaria-ante.cz/index2.php?lang=en
http://www.akvaria-ante.cz/katalog/katalog_cz.php?lan=en

I know of the brand "Oceanic Systems" (oceanicsystems.com) that is distributed at PetSmart. Their aquariums seemed decent enough

Anyone care to referr me to a company with similar products?

I have a couple aquariums. One of them is this seemingly indestructible glass dealy in which we used to keep fish way back in the day. This thing has been everywhere, two different houses... But anyway.
I went to the company Plastics to Go (local in MN.. but they are gone now) and had a 48" x 15" Plexiglassish aquarium constructed for me for a decent price. That is my main grow chamber right now.

What I really really (really) want to do is start growing Nepenthes in hexagonal (or sext/pent/deca/WHATEVER) aquariums. These are the tall aquariums, not the long ones. I'm sure many of you know what a hex aquarium looks like. They are very pleasant and would make good "furniture" in a room. -Unlike the way most grow chambers can be a tad much to look at sometimes (trust me, mine... for some reason... lives on top of my entertainment center in da basement. It certainly is great having four 48'' flourescents shining down on you while you're watching Lawrence of Arabia.

This does not have to be JUST hex stuff... But my main focus is on tall chambers for Nepenthes growing/display.
cheers
-trevor

My suggestion is to look around your area for acrylic display manufactures (is shop displays, antique display cases, etc) i found one guy that lives about 30 minutes from me in columbus, OH that took my sketch for a special tank and custom built it. He raises angelfish as a hobby so he knows how to make a really nice tank!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (drunknmunky @ Feb. 11 2004,01:50)]My suggestion is to look around your area for acrylic display manufactures (is shop displays, antique display cases, etc)  i found one guy that lives about 30 minutes from me in columbus, OH that took my sketch for a special tank and custom built it.  He raises angelfish as a hobby so he knows how to make a really nice tank!
Well this has been an enormously popular topic : /

You mentioned acrylics. I had my grow chamber custom built by a local company much like you are describing. That is a good idea, but I am hesitant about acrylics/plastic. Now I am noticing that the long sides (52") are bowing out and almost seem faceted. The manufacturer also mentioned that there is a possibility that some yellowing may occur because of the lights.
Well I might as well make this into a new topic, someone may reply to it.

check this thread for my glass/acrylic discussion.

Glass vs Acrylic

acrylic manufacturing has come a long way in just the last few years, may be worth looking into.

Anyone know where there's a good custome aquarium builder in LA, looking to build a HUGE pentagonal shapped tank.

Back